DOG - Cherry eye. Have you dealt w/it?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BayCityBabe, Nov 17, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    My year old sweetie - a standard poodle mix - has "cherry eye". A few months ago, we took him to the vet & had her look at it. She tried to manipulate the area (a third eyelid) back into place. No luck. She sent us home with eyedrops. After several days, the swelling was down & the eyelid popped back into place.
    Two weeks ago, the "cherry eye" was back. Vet agreed to refill the drops. I have been putting drops in, daily. No luck. Any ideas? For those of you who have not experienced this: It is really yucky looking, but causes the dog no pain. I would love to hear about some things that have worked for other dog owners.
    Thanks.

2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Sorry, but the only sure-fire way to fix it is surgery. The Dr. would "tack" back the third eyelid with sutures. It's a pretty common surgery, so most vets should be able to perform it.

There are medical problems that can arise from not fixing cherry eye, so you should get it fixed before they happen.

Its thought that cherry eye is most likely genetic.

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Besides the required surgery, best not to breed this by producing more pups w/the same problem.

4. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    Sorry to 2nd this but surgery is the only real permanant solution to cherry eye.

5. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Sorry to hear about your furry baby. Cherry eye is a nuisance, and the only way I know of to fix it for good is surgery. I used to work at a vet's office, and we tried several non-surgical remedies with varied success, but almost always ended up doing the surgery in the end. Sorry! Hope things turn out for the best for you.

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yes cherry eye is painful. [​IMG] All those drops do is keep the poor dogs eye moisturized. Surgery is the only way to relieve the problem. It is painful when owners don't do anything for the eye and let it get dry and irritated that's all those drops do is keep them lubed up while waiting for surgery. Cherry eyes left alone are reportable and can bring fines as it's pretty much like having a broken leg or a wound that needs stitched on the lines of neglect. Not saying you're being neglectful at all just saying pepole who have these dog sthat do nothing for them and let them suffer are doing a very huge injustice to the dogs. The sad thing is is surgery doesnt mean it wont happen again but surgery is the only way to help atleast try to remove the problem. My male cocker spaniels eye lid flips sometimes, but just a simple rub over his closed eye with my thumb and his eyes fine again, his full brother has cherry eye and his idiot owner let both of his eyes form the problem and they gave him away instead of getting him treatment make sme so upset. I planned to breed my cocker spaniel until I learned of him being genetically predisposed to cherry eye...if and when his eyelid no longer goes back in place he will need surgery.

7. billiebrat

billiebrat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Altoona, PA
    I have a dog with cherry eye, but my vet and a couple others I spoke too said they do not fix it here and to just use the drops. I am so upset. He doesn't seem to be in pain or even bothered by it, but I do not know what else to do

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We had a dog with that problem and had it surgically fixed. It was tacked back in place. I think we had antibiotic ointment to put in temporarily, after the surgery. She healed just fine and had no problem after that.

9. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I dealt with this with a Gompa Lhasa Apso about 5 years ago.

You will need to find a vet who is experienced and practiced enough to perform the necessary surgery. And, the younger the dog is when the procedure is done, the better, so don't wait. It won't get better without surgery.

Bad news, I know, but once you get those eyes fixed, you and your dog will feel much better.

And do NOT let anyone tell you those glands can be clipped off. Apparently vets used to do that, and it condemns the dog to a life of "dry eye", which is not good.

Susan

10. anniebethj

anniebethj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2008
    Plain City, UT
    Check with your vet BEFORE surgery to find out exactly what he plans to do. Some "old school" docs will just remove the tissue instead of tacking it into place. This will create a major dry eye problem that will need to be medicated with drops for life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by