dog + chicken ?

new breeder

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Greece
hello , i start this thread t ask, can i have in the same yard chicken , ducks and 1 husky or german sheperd dog?

i want t have 1 mediun male dog (i like the dogs with their ears up :p ) i want it for protection of my animals( and for alarm for the house) i dont have a big yard but i will take him with my everyday jigging....

what are you saying?

I would not suggest a husky to keep with chickens. In my experience, they have fairly high prey drives and like to try and run away.

German shepherds do a much better job protecting livestock, but it will still take work to get them coexist. Starting with a younger dog would be best in this case, though it is possible to train older dogs to get along with chickens.

You should be aware though, that there are some dogs that will just never be trustworthy around chickens.

Whatever dog you decide to go with, getting the dog from a respectable source will be your biggest challenge. Both of those breeds are affected by many genetic disorders and there are screening tests that can be done for the parents to help produce healthy puppies. Definitely avoid pet stores and "flea market" dogs, or people selling dogs that are not breeders. I am not against buying from backyard breeders who breed working animals, as I have an awesome Australian cattle dog from this type of breeder, but also be aware that health issues can arise in these types of dogs.

well the dog that i take t my home for sure it will be 1-2month old, when its ready, it will be my first dog (in the backyard, we have a lot of dogs in the store of my father but they are big and they willmake a fist with my chicken for sure :p
1 friend of mine tell me t take aa labrador, its good with kids but i am not sure if can do the right job for me :/

Back
Top Bottom