1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog crates - would you do this? Why or why not?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Dec 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Has anyone combined their dogs crates to make one big crate?

Why would you do it or why wouldn't you?

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    No, it would defeat the purpose of using a crate, in my mind. Y'see, I use them to give my dogs their own "caves"--a sanctuary to call their own when the rest of the household is annoying them. The rest of the time they sleep on the couches/sprawl in front of the fireplaces/block up the a/c vents with the rest of the pooches. But when they are feeling a bit off and don't want to be bothered/annoyed they go curl up in their crates and nobody bothers them.

[​IMG]

Rusty

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That was kinda my thinking Rusty. Thanks for the input. [​IMG]

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Our two meatheads prefer to be in the same one even though they have their own [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what we have going on here. Problem is, one crate is not big enough for both of them and I don't think they make crates much bigger.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gritty,

With the size of those dogs, wouldn't it just be easier to add on their own room.

[​IMG]

Impy

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My 2 get in too much trouble if they are left together ~ they have to have time to themselves. They are very high energy and feed off each other. They actually seem to enjoy their crates and go to them when they are tired.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Now I understand where you are coming from. I knew you had something going on to ask the question.

Looking at my crates, I don't know how you would go about combining them. If your dogs are content sharing and you can figure out how to do it and maintain your design decor you can do it. My two have separate crates when I need to put them inside, such as in bad weather, but otherwise they share one dog house when they are outside and feel a need to get out of the weather. You may find there are times it is good to separate them, but you manage your dogs differently than I do mine. Mine get to sleep outside, enjoy the day and night air and converse with their coyote buddies and all the neighbors' dogs when the moon is full.

I kinda agree with Imp. Maybe not their own room but build them their own special cave.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It's been considered. [​IMG]

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I do! The poodle and the Shih Tzu could have separated quarters, but they enjoy sitting next to each other in the crate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by