Dog days of summer, love em or hate em?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Seems August here in eastern NC has brought the dog days on. It hasn't been to bad yet, low 90's and the humidity hasn't been that bad.......yet [​IMG] but it's coming.

So love em, hate em and why

for me love em cause the high humidity tends to clear my sinuses, and there is nothing like an ice cold beer on a hot day

hate em when you loose about a 1/2 gallon of water/sweat feeding the birds or working in the garden.

Steve in NC

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Dont mind the heat...thank the lord for central air. Now if only I could afford to put it in the barn...lol

The humidity is what gets me. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.
    We are in the Mountains in SWVA so it doesnt get too bad, too often. But all of this rain is not helping.

But, as with all things...I am greatful for what I have [​IMG].

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Love 'em, mostly. Don't like walking into the wet dishrag that people call humidity, but I love the waiting-for-fall-feeling that's in the air. And that school is almost ready to start. And harvests. And the blessing of a/c after spending time with the chickens.

4. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    North Texas.

I love the heat because it's nice and dry and when you get a nice breeze, the temp can drop ten degrees *And I'm right off the lake so there's a cool north wind meeting up with warm wet wind off the coast, so it's always breezy.*. All the horses and I have to do is go swim in the pond and we're cool for the next three hours. [​IMG] It's nice weather, so long as you have a little water to cool yourself every now and then. Perfect summer weather.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    After the 3rd coolest June (coolest since 1913) on record here.

And after the VERY HOTTEST July on record here.

And with August looking like it's going to be just like JULY, I've got to start repenting cuz I've decided that it's hotter than hades here.

And I've lived here going on 23 years now!

c'mon September!!!

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Fall Fall Fall!!!!! Summer humidity in central Florida [​IMG]
    I miss NC summers....

7. lilchick

lilchick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    We get heat and humidity here in Indiana. Usually July and Aug. are the worst.
    I try to do my chores early in a.m. and any project that I have outdoors. If it is rainy and cool I get my butt in gear and get all the ones done that I have been putting off.
    And yes when the chores are getting to me I tell myself just get them done and you can sit in shade and drink a sam adams! Self motivation [​IMG]

edited to ask do you know why it is called dog days?
    Because the star pattern in sky is aligned a certain way this time of year and it is named after it!

8. From NW Georgia....HATE it!! Low 90's and humidity in the 90s......ugghhh. I'd take Fall, Winter and Spring YEAR ROUND. Seems the older I get the more I find the heat unbearable.

9. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    The dog days are beginning to bark loudly here in Virginia also. We have had such a temperate summer so far, I have gotten spoiled! Now the temps are steadily rising and the humidity is high. Love it though because I have a really good reason to "quit" doing my outside yardwork and chores earlier on the weekends PLUS it means that our vacation on the Outer Banks of NC is getting closer! Hate it because the dogs only have to be outdoors for a minute to start smelling like "dog sweat"!! Ick.........

10. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    This is the coolest summer we've had in my memory. Its been 80 or less for the most part, the outside is right around 65 degrees and the only thing this has allowed for is the mosquito's to NOT BLEEPING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: