Dog- didn't kill her...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crayon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    So a week ago my pointer took down one of our fav EEer pullets. (They are escape artist!) Today my 6 year old found him hovering over one of my BR pullets (who are my sweetest chicks thus far). She was laying on the ground and I heard my daughter screaming- I ran out I saw the chick moving and got the dog to back off- Once I grabbed my BR girl I could see she had been tasted (she was wet). But she was still alive. Breeze (my daughter) said that she didn't see the dog getting the chick but saw him standing over her and her on the ground.

One very scared chick with 2 small marks is resting in the garage in a box right now- not moving much- but alive. The dog is in the kennel (he hates the kennel). I am praying we can curve this.... I have 12 more chicks coming next week to replace the one he already did in. But my sweet BRs.... aghhhhhh....

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH! I feel your pain. If you EVER figure out a method, long or short, to curb this prey drive our dogs have, please PM me.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You have a pointer. He's a bird dog. It's his instinct to find birds. It may be his instinct to retrieve them. Most bird dogs have "soft mouths", meaning that they won't bite into the bird when retrieving. I had a lab once who went into a slough behind my barn brought back a drake Blue-winged teal. The bird was totally unharmed. Dog went back out, came back holding his mouth funny with grass hanging out of it. I held out my hand and he deposited two unbroken eggs into my hand! OK, back to your dog. Sounds like some training is in order. Your dog needs to learn that it's not OK to fetch chickens. Lots and lots of training....

4. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    My dog, Scout, was a rescue dog from being locked in a kennel for 18 months- nearly starved and had no concept of stairs, drinking water or peeing outside. So we helped train him by using a kennel. So he is spending today in a kennel. I know it is part of his bread- I would not mind if he wanted to "retrieve" them and deliver them unharmed... But he "played" with the EEer until it died- and my sweet BR was close- thank goodness for my daughter.

Thanks for the support- this is the hardest part of raising chicks I think!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, I know that must be so frustrating! I also have two dogs, an Irish Terrier, Fionna, who is just a year old, and my little buddy, Cosmo, who is around 8 years old now (a pom).

I have a fenced in yard for them, because I know they would grab up a chicken in a quick minute. I always worry that one of these days someone will forget to shut the gate..........

Fionna LOVES to watch the chickens.....She's obsessed! Cosmo could care less, but I do think he would grab one because he's just so quick and scrappy.

And wouldn'tcha know, it was my NEIGHBOR'S dog that came into my back yard and grabbed a hen! And my back yard is very private. Boy was I mad!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yeah, I had a lab that have retrieved and "played" with chickens until they were dead. Or just carried them around until they quit moving and went and got another one... The importang question is - does Scout know why he's in trouble? After all, when you found him he didn't have the bird in his mouth. He may not make the connection between playing with the chicken and being punished. You may need to find a way to keep the dog and the chickens permanently separated.

7. alaynalynn

alaynalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I'm having the same issues. Sorry for your loss and good luck.

8. jessleeh

jessleeh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    North SF Bay Area
    I have 2 small dogs, about 10 lbs each, and I don't think I'll ever train my doxie/chihuahua mix to leave the chickens alone. She can't control herself. I lost 2 young birds to her when the cage was left unlatched. Don't want to go through that heartbreak again so I've resigned myself to having the girls in the run all the time. [​IMG]

9. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Try this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=529148
    I haven't tried it with my dogs yet, but it seems really helpful. And it's not like it's the whole "this might work" kinda deal, this guy is so sure of this technique that he offers a thousand dollar reward to anyone who can bring him a dog that can't be trained into getting along with chickens. I think everybody with a dog that's killing their chickens should have a look at this. [​IMG]

10. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I introduced 16 one day old chicks into a household with a 6 year old lab cross and a 2 year old JRT. Not to mention 3 half wild Queens. I let them know right off the bat the chicks belonged to ME and were not to be bothered. Not had a problem and it is 8 weeks later. The hens and the dogs and cats are outside all day together. The kitten does play out some "Wild America" chase scenes on occasion, but runs when she sees me coming. DH says they mind because I am very dominant. And I say "Thats a Problem?"[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by