!!!!!! Dog digs at his ear and cries...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ARose4Heaven, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I have a 3 yo Chug that is an outdoor dog. (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chug.htm) Often, he shakes his head vigorously and digs at one ear, whimpering. I can't see anything in the ear. Because of his black skin, can't see any redness. It doesn't appear swollen, and no bad smell.

Is it possible he has a wood tick or something down deep in there? Would it be safe to put peroxide in to boil out whatever is bothering him? Maybe some of that mite stuff that I have for the cats? Warm baby oil?

I need help on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It could be a fungus, mites, ear infection, or a few more causes. The first step I would take is a few days of a water/vinegar rinse. This will clean, & kill any fungus. If that didn't work, I'd try the baby oil or mite treatment to kill off any mites.If still not successful, vet time for an inspection for infection. ( I like the sound of that [​IMG])

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Smell donotes infection - he might have mites - there are things sold at pet stores for mites - he may just need a good cleaning. My lil guy starts shaking and stuff - no smell - but once i clean his ears out - usually takes care of it!

4. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont pour peroxide in his ear, the bubbling would be much much louder to a dog than it is to a human and if freaks them out. I dont mess with my dogs ears, straight to the vet for stuff like that unless im sure of what im dealing with.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:x2

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Gorgeous pup, BTW

7. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think you should just take him to the vet. He could have an ear infection whether there's an odor or not. If it's ear mites, you would see brownish stuff if you wipe his ear out with a kleenex, toilet paper or napkin.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  8. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    sounds like ear mites had the same problem with my border collie, you may be able to buy drops over the counter, follow instructions on bottle and clean ears with cotton buds dipped in warm water gently if it doesnt ease in a couple of days see a vet.

9. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yes, Thank You. Bandit is the warmest, stoutest little guy you ever saw. Sitting with him is like holding a hot water bottle. He's that way all the time. I think he looks like a toy pitbull. When folks come on the yard, I always tell them, don't worry about the big dog, it's the Barky little brown one ya gotta watch. I just love his brindle color.

When we got him, he wasn't even weaned yet. We had to take him early because his mother and littermates had Parvo. Bandit tested clean, but he had such a case of fleas, that at just 3 weeks old, he was anemic. He was so tiny and took so much TLC to get him healthy. I wish I could have him indoors, but he just plain REFUSES to be housebroken.

I will treat him for mites, and if that doesn't do it, he'll go to the vet. Thanks folks.

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I also recommend the vet to determine the actual problem. It could be anything from mites, infection, polyps, fungus to a food allergy or something else. And if it is not an infection ~ the more he scratches it the more likely it will become infected anyway.

~ however if you want to rinse out his ears, please use something made for ear cleaning. I use "Epi-Otic Advanced" Salicylic Acid 0.2% ear cleanser. I got my first bottle from the vet for an ear problem that my cat had, but now I buy it much cheaper on line ~ you can also get it at some pet shops.

Hope your pup is feeling better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by