Dog door for pop door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prairiepearls, Jan 20, 2010.

1. prairiepearls

prairiepearls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Can I use a dog door for a pop door in my coop? Will chickens learn to open the flap and go through it?

2. OverEggstended

OverEggstended Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    SW Washington State
    Probably... but so will smaller racoons, possums, fox, weasles, ...

(shall I continue?)

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    That is what I use and at night I put the cover over it and stick a cement block in front of it. Works great! I did cut the flap that comes down into strips though, they go through it easier.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine figured out the doggy door at least as fast as the cats did. Some hens are more prone to investigate, but once one learns the others will follow [​IMG]

5. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I would say that a doggie door is great, especially if you want local predators to learn how to get inside your coop while yer not lookin'.

6. c_soto1990

c_soto1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Chicago,Il
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My pop door is a doggie door .... and it locks, so IS predator proofed! It was hard to find the large size, and with a lock, however!

[​IMG]

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:That is what I built, (like Kathyinmo) but entirely of wood, and entirely inside of coop. Mine is 1/2" OSB and uses a wooden track. I use overhead cable/pulley system to raise/lower it from outside. Pulleys are located just above soffit and drop down inside wall to tops of the two pop doors. Works great and no problems since finishing coop in July, 09.

9. prairiepearls

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    I've had several cat doors over the years, and they've all been lockable -- there's a panel to slide down, and a plastic bit that pops out when it's closed. You have to press the plastic bit to slide it open again. They're kid-proof, so I'd think predator-proof, too. I would close it up at night. For cold weather, I'd like the chickens to be able to open it and go in & out, but it wouldn't be wide open to let in drafts; that's why I'm considering a doggy door.

To a newby, it seems like a kitty door (about 5" x 7" opening) would be big enough for a chicken, but everyone's pop doors seem to be bigger than that. Do chickens not like to have their feathers touch the sides of the door?

10. prairiepearls

Jan 2, 2010
    Wichita, Kansas
    Quote:Thanks for the photo, kathyinmo! I love the pinwheels! Is that to discourage hawks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by