Dog eating chicken poop

dmcmorris

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
My golden retriever is cleaning up after my flock of free ranging chickens. Besides being disgusting, I expect this is unhealthy as well. Any suggestions on how to discourage this?

welcome-byc.gif

I have not found any.

They - the dogs - seem to enjoy it most when I am outside. The dogs can be out all day long with the chickens and seem to ignore poop.

The moment I step outside, it like a bet between the Corso and Border Collie to see who can scarf down more.
sickbyc.gif

I try not to watch.
hmm.png

if you find a way let me know. My Chessie loves the frozen chicken poop, and you know when he's been eating it 'cuz he starts to drool like crazy!

Hmm my dog eats it regularly and is not ever on de-wormer or anything. She does seem to fart bad if she eats a lot of it, but seems fine

Yeah, my doxie will get a big chunk and then after she tries to lick me in the face! ugh
sickbyc.gif
. The chickens poop on the porch and then it freezes and the dogs seem to think they are tiny DQ Dilly bars. What a treat! The only thing I think might be really dangerous is transfer of worms, but since my chicks don't have worms i'm hoping there is no ill effect from poo.

I read that they do it because it has extra protein in it. Whatever the reason, it's gross. My dogs eat cow poop too, and I've actually seen the cow eat chicken poop. Animals can be so disgusting sometimes.
sickbyc.gif

My dog doesn't eat it but he LOVES to rolelin it...... I swear he hates smelling like doggy shampoo, as soon as bathtime is over he goes in search of some poop to roll in....sigh

Note: my dog likes compost piles too, when he was young he'd take off on us once in a while and we could normally count on finding him rolling in the neighbors compost pile.

Last edited:
I think all dogs do this. My Anatolian Shepherds follow my sheep around so they can get their sheep poop factory fresh. Ewwwwwwww

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom