dog eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smile, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Smile

Smile Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2007
    Bonner Springs, KS
    My sneaky Border Collie is sneaking into the nests and getting the eggs before I can collect them:mad:
    We have thought of making the entrance to the coop smaller, but don't want to discourage the hens from going into there to lay.

BTW, the hens are completely free range and, unfortunately, so is the dog:/

Any thoughts??
    We could rebuild the nests higher with a LOT of work..they are currently about 2 feet off the ground.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you might have to raise the nest boxes....OR, get one egg....blow it out....add mustard, drip candle wax over the ends, and put it back in the nest. That dog will learn his lesson...hopefully!

3. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    If they are both (free-range)....then the only suggestion I have, is to make several pop holes into your coop that are too small for your dog.

Do your chickens go in at night to roost? If so, after you have made the pop holes, close the big door at night while they are roosting so they will have to out these holes in the morning. They shouldn't have a problem going back in after they used them to get out.

My reason for several of them is because they are used to coming & going when they please & aren't used to having to wait in line to go in or out. If they have to wait, they may just find a new laying spot (where your dog can have eggs for breakfast again).

I don't think you will change your dogs appetite for the eggs, so make it where he can't get to them.

Jean

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the exact same problem

We left the chicken door the same, but attached on the inside paneling that had an opening just large enough for roo (the largest in our flock).

Didn't phase the chickens at all...but the dog was miffed! He moped around as we were fixing it as if he new his egg days were done!

If you're worried, I'd try to fix the door while the chickens are inside the coop....then they'll have to go through it to get outside and they'll already know it's no big deal.

good luck
    Sandra

5. Smile

Smile Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2007
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try to implement soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by