dog eating my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hatchcrazzzy, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i lost 2 9 week olds chicks to 2 labs this morning i called the owner and told them i would put the dog down if it comes back and they allways do when they get the tast of blood they said they were going to chain them i hope so i have 3 dogs and they dont bother the chickens iknow some of you dont like the idea of shooting dogs but what else can i do the people didnot offer to pay for my babbies and i will not let them kill any more if i can help it sorry [​IMG]

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Of course they didn't offer. You should have straight out told them what they owe you for your losses. If it hits them in the pocketbook, they'll keep a better eye on the dogs. Next time you see them running loose call law enforcement and tell them that these dogs have become a nuisance and are harassing your animals.

I gotta ask where you had them that dogs got them? What's to keep other critters away?

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i had them in my chicken ranch and they tore the door off getting to them.i live in a small town in the country.in texas out here we take care of our own problems like dogs and varments.these dogs are fat no reason to kill my chicks jusy blood thristy.

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Getting popcorn and soda...[​IMG]

5. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I truly know how frustrating it is.

6. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Quote:I hear ya babe. sorry for your loss.

7. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    its expensive...wipe gasoline on there behinds..teach them real fast. my personal favorite is the good old shotgun!! ( fat dogs....wonder what dog meat tastes like? ) <---joke....sorry if that offends anyone!![​IMG]

i dont know the law in your area, but get proof that they own the 2 dogs, voice recording, or if they have to pay taxes on the dogs, whatever. get it on video or camera the dogs doing the act, take pictures of the damages, find out how much it will cost to fix your property, and compensate for the lost hens, there is always pain and suffering. tell them look, you pay me or i will drag your butt into court.

8. wolfpack62001

wolfpack62001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    New Brockton, Alabama
    Sorry to hear that Chicken!
    I had the very same problem with a White German Shepard and a owner that wouldnt own up.
    It sounds may sound bad to most Folks here but the hound wont go away and it will get in to your coop!
    Next time just shoot it, I find 12 gauge to work great.
    PS Its perfectly legal in city limits, I do know!

9. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Well I don't know about where she is but in my county (l live outside of Dayton Proper) if ANY animals threatens us or our pets or livestock we have the right to shoot to protect. BUT we have to drop them on our property. If we don't then it is considered cruel and unusual treatment of the dogs.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Since these posts degenerate into fights, I am closing it.

Chickencrazy, I am sorry for your loss. If you look through this forum you will see many posts regarding this. Please read them and I hope you can resolve this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by