dog eats 1st egg....angry!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkinut, Dec 12, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    something funny happened to me today! although i didn't think it was funny at the time! i was MAD!! we haven't had any fresh eggs in at least 2 months!! i am so tired of store bought eggs! well today my 2 dogs were out, playin around....i was lazily walkin around checking for eggs (although i had no idea WHY!). i have 6 young hens that should be laying any day for the 1st time. anyway, my Boxer was sniffin something on the ground and i saw it was an EGG!! wow! i havent seen a fresh egg in months! i was so excited!! so i start walkin over, with a smile on my face. then our 6 month old "Old Southern White" bulldog (kinda like an american bulldog) RUNS over, grabs the egg, and i yell "leave it!" cuz he knows that command. but he chose not to listen! and instead, looks at me and TAKES OFF runnin! [​IMG] i'm runnin after him....all the while yelling "leave it!". Finally i catch the lil booger! he rolls on his side and i'm towering over him and i hear a POP! and his whole mouth turns yellow and then he eats the whole thing!! my wonderful FRESH egg! GONE! to a disobedient dog! i was so mad! but at the same time i knew it must've been a funny site to behold! tomorrow, i will be checkin for eggs 1st before lettin him loose! lol!

2. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    OMG thats awfull and funny at the same time...I waited months for my self blue OEGB to lay her first egg...put it in basket on counter where all my eggs are...cat decides that is the one egg that is interesting and bites it?? and my hen hasnt laid again since( 4 weeks)!!

I would def be egg hunting first for now on if I was you!! [​IMG] Heres to finding some everyday!!

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooohhh.....that doggie would have been on a BIG timeout at my house!!

4. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    that's funny about the cat! AND how the hen hasn't laid since! and yes, i wish i coulda put him in time out! i'm so tired of the rubber eggs at walmart! [​IMG] well, i think the girl that laid the one today was Clover, my barred rock. i also have 4 EE that are comin up on layin age and i really woulda been ticked if it was an EE egg, cuz u know how excited we all get to figure out what color they're gonna lay. anyway, dadblasted dog!! [​IMG]

5. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    This sort of thing is exactly why I don't really want a dog coming along for chores. Any dog......

I guess I'm just a cat person at heart. Sorry to hear about the cat that jumped up on the counter and bit the special OEGB egg....BAD CAT!!!!!

6. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Quote:Yeah...they are not a heavy laying bird...every egg is a big deal this time of year from that color of the OEGB but in spring I should get a couple a week!!

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Well atleast he ate the egg and not the chicken [​IMG]

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I went through a period of not getting any eggs from a flock of 28 hens in prime laying condition and I couldn't figure out why....

..until I was looking out the window one day and saw my youngest dog coming out of the NOT sized for dogs pop door with an egg in his mouth. After I adjusted the door size to keep out the darn, egg-suckin' but still worth keeping because he's such an excellent LGD [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] dog, I waited patiently to see just how many eggs I'd get the next day.

23 eggs...and 25 the next day and every day thereafter. [​IMG] The darn hound had been consuming 2 doz. eggs each day for some time....no wonder he was so glossy and fat no matter how much I adjusted his feed levels!

My birds free range, so any eggs he finds out in his territory and in his reach, I gladly sacrifice~he is worth it. [​IMG] In the coop? All mine!

9. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hmm, makes me wonder if our boxer is consumin all the eggs. seriously i wonder? the puppy can't be trusted around my girls, so he is in his kennel unless i'm outside watching him. but our boxer is great with the girls. maybe he's keepin them around for their eggs? [​IMG]

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Any dog will eat an egg if they know they are good food....as in, have been given an egg before. Any dog worth his salt, I imagine... [​IMG] Could be why you aren't getting the eggs you are used to getting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by