1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog emergency

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mjdtexan, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Our dog, we dont know what kind of dog she is, shes like a collie/Irish Setter mix, is in pain, she is limping and she is carrying her neck and head funny. The vet is closed until Monday. She is in pain. Can she have asprin? She weighs 35 to 40 pounds. Please let me know, she is in pain and I dont know what is causing it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    can she have access to be hit by a car, or kicked by a horse? Aspirin does inhibit clotting, so if she is bleeding internally could cause more bleeding. I think tylenol is poisonous to dogs too. I know I am not much help.

I just googled for you and found this link. Hope it helps. Hope your dog feels better soon.
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/506_nsaid.html

3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Most dogs can have aspirin. I believe the dose is 10mg/lb and can be given every 12 hours. Just like in humans it can cause issues with the stomach so it depends on what the problem is as to whether or not the dog should have it.

4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    DON'T give her any aspirin or other pain reliever!! It can inhibit the actions of many live-saving meds. I work at a vet, and have seen several cases where owners gave aspirin and because of that we couldn't give important meds. Simply take her to the emergency vet as soon as posssible. Best of luck to you and your dog!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

When any of my dogs are having issues with their ears they carry their head funny. Have you looked at her ears at all?

6. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I will hold off on giving her asprin, I hate to see her in pain, no it is impossible for her to have been hit by a car, she is on 5 fenced in acres. Her ears seem to be ok, her neck is swollen and she is limping.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I used to give my old bulldog asprin daily on the vets recommendation.... If you do, make sure the vet knows you did. Also remember to lessen the dose according to the dogs weight. If a full grown human takes 2, then a 50 lb dog would get a half an asprin.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh poor thing! [​IMG] could she have gotten bit by a snake or something??

9. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I have to agree with Hensdeliverthegoods about not giving anything. It's possible your dog has a herniated disc, which can be very serious. The best and safest thing is to get your dog to an emergency vet asap. These things can get worse very quickly and in worst case scenario, lead to paralysis. I'm a RVT for an ER clinic and we see it a lot. Please seek medical help for your pup.

10. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    We are going to seek help for Amber in the morning. She is laying down now, she has eaten which is a change, we did not give her asprin (due to the lady who works at vet who posted here). I think she is snake bit. She likes to harrass them.

Thank each and every one of You who responded and were concerned. This is why this is my home forum/page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by