Dog Experts: Cute, neutered, and dumped. Cairn Terrier or a mix?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by IcarusSomnio, Aug 9, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I was off picking up Sammy (he has a great home now) when the property owner, fixing his car, asks "Hey, want a dog?"

I was half sprinting to get a halter and lead, catch the horse, then get him out to his new home before it got hot enough to boil an egg said "What kind?"

To which he replied, "I think it's a Yorkshire Terrier". I saw the little dude, gave him a pat (very friendly), asked as quickly as possible how it (didn't know the gender!) ended up here, found out it was dumped, and said I'd look for a home.

Since I didn't get time to really LOOK at the dog, I just figured it was a Yorkie, posted an ad on Craigslist stating that a sweet lil' dog was seeking a forever home to be pampered.

Fast forward to Sunday, and my new horse arrives. I talk with the people and since their about as animal nerdy as me, said they'd either keep him themselves, or see if one of their friends would like him. Unfortunately...the dog was gone!

Then today, Monday, the Property Owner Jeff, calls and says the pooch is back and that he's currently penned in the living room. I said I'd pick him up and just keep it at my place, since I'll be heading out of town to the other peoples place this weekend anyways. I head out, give my friend the riding lesson she's been dying for, put the pooch in a cage on the truck (it's dark by now), look for my new black horse IN the dark (dad freaking out). Find horse, go home, unload doggy.

Well...he sure isn't a Yorkie! [​IMG]
    The closest thing I can find is a 'Cairn Terrier'. He's awfully cute and neutered to boot. He got a bath as soon as we got in the home and now he needs to be brushed out. His face is covered in those evil little cockleburrs. He's getting Frontline and wormer tomorrow, at least he smells nice now [​IMG]

Any idea guys?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Yup. Could very well be a Cairn.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    OMG that is the ruddel (thats our made up breed name for her)! We have a mutt, Kopper, that looks just like that! She is 1/2 rat terrier and 1/2 toy black poodle. I know odd mix but that is what she looks like. We keep her cut in a Schnauzer cut. She is so cute.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Why do you think it is not a Yorkie?

5. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would love to give it a home.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Cairns are going to have a very coarse outer coat. If the dog has soft hair it is not a Cairn.

7. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yorkies can be as big as 18lbs. (His name was Moose) and have a wire terrier coat. Both of those things are considered major faults in a Yorkie, but then there are people like me that don't care that much if they are perfect or not.

8. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    that is a cairn terrier, I'm 100% sure. No, it is not a yorkie, the coloring, size, and coat texture is not right. Yes, cairn are supposed to have wirey hair but a lot of them are poorly bred and get soft coats anyway from being clipped.

10. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    How big is the dog, and what does it weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by