Dog faucet water nozzle and parakeet waterer

Kerry

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Pahoa, Big Isle, Hawaii
I began providing water for my 4 Barred Rock chicks in a saucer. I'd wash it 2-3 time a day depending upon the poop. They love standing in the water. Then I recalled the waterer I used with my parakeets and tried it. It worked perfectly. Almost no poop and it only needed filling once a day—I strongly recommend using one for 4-5 chicks.

parrakeeterwaterer.JPG

waterspout.JPG

I continued using the parakeet waterer when I moved them outside, however, I immediately began training them to use a dog faucet watering nozzle.* I didn't remove the parakeet waterer until I was sure each chick (w/numbered leg bands so I could tell them apart) knew how to use the nozzle. I'd sit for a few minutes inside the garden tractor 2x a day for about three days and trained them to use the nozzle. I changed the angle of the nozzle so that it points straight down instead of out at an angle (see below). I also found out that I didn't need the shut-off valve-cock. It doesn't drip at all.

youpeckmecatch.JPG

"You peck, I'll catch. Do it right now, he's taking our picture."

Changes for next time:

I'd use a 2 1/2 gallon PVC bucket instead of a 5 gallon one. Use a non-snap-tight lid (a non-gasket lid just presses on and off easily). The reason is: I'd fill the 5 gal bucket 1/2 full and the bottom of the bucket started to grow algae way before the 4 hens used even 1 gallon. I remove and clean the bucket after about two weeks. In other words, it would be easier to lift and clean a 2/ 1/2 gal bucket (in the laundry tub). The nozzle can be moved left or right so that you can set the bucket on the ground for cleaning. The Teflon tape doesn't need replacing.

Remember to get the smallest bung that has 1/2" NPT (pipe) threads. It requires cutting about a 2 1/4" in dia hole in the bucket. This is because a larger bung might not provide a good seal because of the smaller circumference of a 2 1/2 gal bucket.

Total cost: about $43.00
Bung with inside and outside rubber washers and nut (w/1/2" female pipe thread) Requires drilling about a 2 1/4" dia hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom. $12.95
PVC elbow (1/2" NPT male to 1/2" NPT female) $5.00
3/4" NPT pipe thread to garden hose thread adapter $3.95**
Tap Adapter dog nozzle waterer $12.95
5 gallon PVC bucket with lid $5.00 + $3.00
Teflon tape .10

* The dog/chick pushes the 1 1/2" long down-facing nozzle slightly to the side and water drips out running down the nozzle. The chick immediately moves her beak to catch the water and repeats the process about a dozen times until sated.

With aloha,

Kerry

Update: It's been working perfectly for about a year. Now that they are full grown they no longer need the concrete block step.

** The same company (Miller Mfg. Co) now makes a Tap Adapter nozzle with 1/2" NPT male pipe thread so you don't need the 3/4" pipe to 3/4" garden hose thread adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ack.

I too have a "guard" cat. He's been excellent with the free-range chicks but still loves to bring me java finches and doves (I cringe). He also brings in geckos, rats, and kokee frogs—the chicks absolutely love the frogs. They play a raucous game of soccer with it for several minutes, until each gets a piece, a bit gory but hilarious to watch.

Kerry

Last edited:
It's called AutoFlo Tap Adapter
Miller Manufacturing Co.
935 Aldrin Dr. Eagan, MN 55121

It's available here http://www.seamanpetcenter.com/product/84369096409 ,
also here on Hawaii Island at Miranda's Country Store, Hilo (good reason for a vacation, yes?)

I misquoted the price. It was $9.99 not $12.95 ($7.90 on-line) and it has a 5 year warranty.

I highly recommend it because it's absolutely poop proof and is probably the most water conserving waterer one could have.

I think one tap could serve up to 7 chicks. You'd probably want to run a PVC pipe with a flexible hose from the bucket to its end and space out 1 tap per ten birds.

If you connected it directly to a garden-hose-threaded pressurized bib cock, @40 lbs/sq inch, you might need to turn the water almost off else the water might spray out.

Re my training trick. Miller advises leaving the tap slightly loose at first so that water continually drips down the nozzle until the animal associates the location with water. I found the click-like noise the nozzle made when I flicked it helped; I think they associated a muffled noise resulting from a half assed peck with the noise it took to get water, also, when I caught the drips from the nozzle with my finger they learned more about drops.

Kerry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom