1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog food and cat food eaters!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Red Rooster, Aug 15, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

When we feed the dogs, the chickens eat most of it! They get on the deck and eat all the cat food. Anybody else have that problem? We pen them up now.

2. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Hahahaha!!! My hen RIR hen Pumpin' Pie loves my Dobermans SO much that she stays with them all the time. She LOVES their dog food, and it doesn't seem to hurt her, so I go ahead and let her eat it. It's strange because she actually seems healthier than my hens that are on layer's feed! [​IMG]

3. iasc300

iasc300 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Linden, IA
    Yeah your not the only one. My chickens eat the goat and cat food. Even though their food is always full. lol

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Our dogs and cats eat inside so none of my birds have ever eaten their food, but my grandmother loves to tell the story of how her ducks would get in the dog food bag, and then all the eggs tasted like dog food. [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are indicating that they want more protein in their diets. Are you feeding a complete poultry diet?

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My chickens and ducks LOVE cat and dog food! They will eat it over their layer feed!

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Quote:Same here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by