Dog food for chicken

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MonkeyZero, Dec 16, 2007.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

I was wondering if dog food is good for them. I let my chickens run all around the yard today, and they ate a lot of dog food. My roo is moulting, I heard cat food is good for helping the moult. My pullet has not yet moulted. So is it OK?
    ]

What are some nutritonal values of it

2. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    oh yeah

Some of the pieces have tiny bits of meat

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Lots o' protein in dog food especially in the ones with fish and egg

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I do that. I buy dry dog food that is made from fish, sweet potato, etc., all the good stuff 'cause my dog has allergies to other ingredients. So all that in there is good for them, I just ground some up in a blender and set it aside to mix in with the other treats. They ate it right up! I try to stick with fish. I just have a hard time giving the girls chicken......

5. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I don't because I couldn't find one with out chicken in it and I really don't feel comfortable feeding chicken to chickens.

They really just need the extra protein. Other sources are mealworms (it's easy to grow your own!), soybean meal, and milk.

6. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I feed my chickens in the morning before the dogs and donkey, one day I happened to drop a few pieces of dry dogfood as I was scooping it out of the bin while a hen was near. Naturally she came over to see what I dropped, ate it, and apparently spread the word because they fly, run, jump, over each other past their scratch to get to me first as I'm scooping the dogfood now. I throw a couple of handfulls out as I'm feeding the dogs. Between 19 chickens, the pieces only bounce once as it hits the ground before it's gobbled up!! [​IMG] I love my chickens!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Mine clean up after the dogs and the cats, no harm done!

8. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    I feed them dog food when I run out of chicken food sometimes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by