dog food versus chicken food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mjohnston, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mjohnston

mjohnston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Hello¡¡

Can anybody tell me:

How long do chickens lay eggs?
    Why my chickens prefer dog food (dry) better than chicken food (almost grinded different seeds).

Thank you all

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Your chickens preffer dog food?!!? Why, I've never heard of such canabalism [​IMG] I wouldn't feed them dog food, and it will be either starving or chicken feed, they will probably eat the feed. And [​IMG] from California

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Easy, because dog food is a treat, they really like treats. You'll find they like a ton of things more than their chicken food, and a varied diet is a way to provide mental stimulation as well as good nutrition. Nearly all fruits and vegetables are on the list of things chickens love, oatmeal both dry and cooked, lentils, yogurt or kefir, healthy dinner scraps, etc

4. mjohnston

Jul 30, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    I think this will be the reason. When I let them free range on my backyard they would kick each other trying to get first to the dog bowl though their feeder is just refilled.

Thanks from Spain.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Could be something that is in the dog food that isn't in the poultry feed that you are feeding.
    Does the poultry feed that you're feeding have animal protein in it?

Chris

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Chickens will lay eggs as long as they live, but laying starts slowing down after two or so years, depending on the breed, etc.

Keep the dog food away from the chickens. It is made with the nutritional requirements for dogs which is quite a bit different from chickens. Yep, I know they like it but you wouldn't just feed your kids peppermint candy because they like it better than peas.

7. mjohnston

Jul 30, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks for the info. I´ll try to keep dog food away from them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by