Dog Food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenkate, Mar 3, 2009.

1. chickenkate

chickenkate Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    East coast
    This may seem like a weird question, but can you feed chickens dog food? I know someone who does, and her chickens are fine, but I want to be sure before I try it myself! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Dog food is way more expensive than layer feed so I don't see the reasoning.

3. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I use it for a 'treat'.
    Read the ingrediants to 'most' dog food brand. The first ingrediant is probably corn, which is used as a filler.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    As a supplement or treat you can. As a complete diet it would not be balanced for chickens.

5. vyvial

vyvial Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I wouldn't even give dog food to my dogs much less to animals that create food for us.

6. hobbychick

hobbychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    Illinois
    I do not use dog food but will used crunched up cat food for my chickens when they are molting. It adds some protein for feather growth. That is what my vet told me!!![​IMG]

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    About 20 years ago my mother had a sick parrot and the vet put the bird on medicated cat food. Which the vet said to continue non medicated after the bird was well. That it was better than seed, we could not get the bird to eat parrot pellets but he loved cat food.

I am not sure I would trust any dog food, or cat food the way things are imported these days. I give my birds eggs, cooked oats, and whatever the produce at the store can spare from trimmings. When spring hits I will burn the glochids off of cactus and give it to them they go nuts over it.

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    My chickens eat dog feed everyday, they are doing great. I dont feed them dog feed but they steal it from my dogs, when I feed them.

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i would not feed it as the main food for the chickens,, but as a treat, it should be just fine..

any dog food with the first ingred. of CORN (or any corn) should NOT be fed to dogs anyway... well i would never feed it to MY dogs...

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There are a few acceptable brands of dog food out there but I can only name 5 I'd feed to my dog and you won't find any at your local grocery store. You will rarely find them at a nearby pet store unless it specializes in dog and cat food. Chickens don't have the same dietary needs though and can handle the grains. I do still look for something without byproducts, with all named meat ingredients, and preferably without poultry meat. I've been supplementing my quail with evo red meat dog food and I have some Nature's Recipe vitality bites salmon cat food here that I was going to grind up for the quail and give a bit to the chickens. It just has a little poultry fat that I don't like but otherwise doesn't look bad for chickens. I'd never feed it to my cat though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by