Dog Food

MGG

Enabler
Feb 7, 2020
I was wondering what everyone thinks about the Loyall Life line of dog food. I've read the ingredients list a number of times, and they all seem decent to me. I've also read a lot of reviews. It gets a good rating on dog food advisor, but I know that isn't necessarily the most reliable.
We have three adult yellow labs and they work hard and eat a lot, so I was hoping to find something good quality but affordable to put them on. We switched them around on some of the lower quality ones, Purina dog chow, kibbles and bits, and beneful, but I want to stay away from those.
They have Nutrena Loyall Life at our farm store, and it's a pretty good price, around $40. I have been buying the Loyall Life large breed beef and barley for them for a few weeks now, and they really seem to like it. It has a nice smell too. My dog had an odd mild rash on her face previously and it has completely cleared up since switching them. I just want to know if it would be wise to continue them on it. My parents pay for 2/3 for our other two labs, and I pay for 1/3 for mine. My girl is hopefully pregnant though and I want her to be on something good. I was considering Loyall Life Chicken and Rice puppy food.
They don't want to pay really any more than $40 or so for a 40-50 lb bag, so I was hoping this was maybe a happy medium. The loyall life line seems much better than the regular loyall line too.
Thanks in advance.

You know how you get what you pay for? It does boil down to that so it's a choice you have to make. I looked at the ingredients and honestly I was expecting worse at that price point, it seems decent to me. I wouldn't call it the best and I wouldn't call it the worst. I have large breed dogs. I feed them Purina Pro Plan and I make them stew from boiled chicken, vegetables and fruit, then mashed. It's what works for me but I'm not trying to save money. I have these dogs knowing that they are incredibly expensive.

You know how you get what you pay for? It does boil down to that so it's a choice you have to make. I looked at the ingredients and honestly I was expecting worse at that price point, it seems decent to me. I wouldn't call it the best and I wouldn't call it the worst. I have large breed dogs. I feed them Purina Pro Plan and I make them stew from boiled chicken, vegetables and fruit, then mashed. It's what works for me but I'm not trying to save money. I have these dogs knowing that they are incredibly expensive.
I thought they looked pretty comparable to the more expensive ones so I wasn't sure how it could be cheaper. I thought I was maybe missing something. I've done a lot of research but I still feel clueless when I look at a bag of feed, haha. I like that it doesn't have a ton of grain and stuff though, and they have a lot of varieties.

We do feed our dogs the trimmings of meat whenever we have any too. They love it and I hate to see it go to waste.
Thanks for the reply. :)

I thought they looked pretty comparable to the more expensive ones so I wasn't sure how it could be cheaper. I thought I was maybe missing something. I've done a lot of research but I still feel clueless when I look at a bag of feed, haha. I like that it doesn't have a ton of grain and stuff though, and they have a lot of varieties.

We do feed our dogs the trimmings of meat whenever we have any too. They love it and I hate to see it go to waste.
Thanks for the reply. :)
I look at protein and fat levels as well as ingredients. Dog's can have acute and chronic Pancreatic attacks if they get too much fat. 14% fat is okay for a healthy dog but you'd want it lower for over-weight dogs or dogs with Pancreatitis.

I look at protein and fat levels as well as ingredients. Dog's can have acute and chronic Pancreatic attacks if they get too much fat. 14% fat is okay for a healthy dog but you'd want it lower for over-weight dogs or dogs with Pancreatitis.
Any recommendations for a possibly pregnant dog? I bred mine two weeks ago so if it took she'd be around 2 weeks pregnant. I still have her on the same food as the other dogs but I will be switching her eventually if she is pregnant. Loyall life does make a couple puppy foods.

Our older dog, Sage, is 6. She's a yellow lab and has always tended to put on weight. The other two are both yellow labs as well but have always been a really good weight.

That’s not necessarily true when it comes to dog food. My dad was the marketing manager for one of the larger dog food manufacturers. A lot of the high end name brands and off brands were made in the same factory with same quality ingredients. However, the high end brands were marketed towards higher income buyers and while the off brands were marketed toward lower income. They make the most money by selling to all audiences.

We have bred Rottweilers and have our dogs on American Journey (chewy brand). They do well and we have no issues. We feed them 3 cups of food a day and they are lean and happy.

I have not looked at your mentioned brand and what ingredients are in it.

We have bred Rottweilers and have our dogs on American Journey (chewy brand). They do well and we have no issues. We feed them 3 cups of food a day and they are lean and happy.

I have not looked at your mentioned brand and what ingredients are in it.
I'll post some SS here of the kinds we have fed so far. I bought a bag each of the adult chicken and brown rice and all life stages chicken and brown rice yesterday. They like to have variety and they handle other kinds really well.

Puppy Food
Screenshot_20230309-190703.png
Screenshot_20230309-190414.png
Screenshot_20230309-190422.png

Large Breed Beef and Barley
Screenshot_20230309-190524.png
Screenshot_20230309-190501.png
Screenshot_20230309-190511.png

All Life Stages Chicken and Brown Rice
Screenshot_20230309-190556.png
Screenshot_20230309-190602.png
Screenshot_20230309-190608.png

Adult Chicken and Brown Rice
Screenshot_20230309-190639.png
Screenshot_20230309-190645.png
Screenshot_20230309-190650.png

That’s not necessarily true when it comes to dog food. My dad was the marketing manager for one of the larger dog food manufacturers. A lot of the high end name brands and off brands were made in the same factory with same quality ingredients. However, the high end brands were marketed towards higher income buyers and while the off brands were marketed toward lower income. They make the most money by selling to all audiences.
Probably why my vet uses Purina dog chow unless your dog has other issues. Have used it all my life we currently have 4 dogs.

Probably why my vet uses Purina dog chow unless your dog has other issues. Have used it all my life we currently have 4 dogs.
I used to hate Purina and be kinda snobby about food but now I love it. Brew’s been on both Dog Chow and Puppy Chow and done amazing on it. Right now he’s on Purina One Chicken and Rice and does great. He actually does better on Purina and the “cheaper” food than he does the high end stuff. I’ve tried a lot of different stuff with him. We always go back to Purina. The cat is on Purina too. She’s on Cat Chow right now but she’s been on Purina One as well. All the animals seem to like Purina the best too. They either turn their noses up at the fancy stuff or they get sick on it. When I had chickens I fed them Purina too. I like them and the big brands because they do extensive food trials unlike a lot of other brands.

Back
Top Bottom