Dog food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by neilgal, Aug 23, 2010.

1. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I have read somewhere that dog food increase the egg production.
    Is that thru ?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    In the winter I sometimes give mine kitten food. The extra protein is good for them in moderation. You can also give things like tuna, green leafy veggies and yogurt. They up the protein or calcium levels.
    I don't know about dog food. I've never tried that.

By the way [​IMG]

3. Jen71

Jen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    Australia
    I have heard this too.

An elderly neighbor of ours has raised chickens for many years. He swears that puppy pellets are his secret to amazing eggs.

I checked the protein content of puppy food and kitten food. Kitten food is much higher in protein, so my girls get this as a treat every so often. They love it!

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've been told not to give dog food, the reason being is because it usually has a lot of salt in it. Which is believeable. Cat food has a higher protein content anyways.

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Dog food recall:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20012457-10391704.html

Pet Food Recall Expanded: Some Pricey Dog Foods Carry Salmonella Risk
    Posted by Aina Hunter

(CBS) If you go out of your way to buy high-end dog food for your best friend, be sure to check the package.

Procter & Gamble, maker of Iams and Eukanuba dry dog foods, is recalling certain varieties of these popular and pricey products because they may be contaminated with salmonella.

The risk extends to humans as well, as experts say dogs who become infected with salmonella can transmit the disease-causing bacterium to people.

The company says no cases of salmonella have been reported but is urging consumers to discard the products.

The products are sold at the vet but are also widely available at retailers.

Here's the list of recalled products:

* Eukanuba Pure, all sizes and varieties
    * Eukanuba Naturally Wild, all sizes and varieties
    * Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin, all dry sizes
    * Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas, all sizes and varieties

The recall comes on the heels of another P & G recall. It involved certain prescription cat foods, as they might also have been contaminated with salmonella.

This latest scare has some pet owners wondering just what food is safe to feed their dogs.

Wendy Nan Rees, author of "The Dog Lover's Daily Companion," avoids all dry kibble and cooks for her animals instead.

Other experts advocate a raw meat diet for both dogs and cats. But veterinarian Marty Becker, author of "Chicken Soup for the Dog Owner's Soul," says raw meat can transmit salmonella.
    "But look at what is happening with the pet food companies," he told CBS News. "There's a bit of risk in everything."

Pets infected with salmonella may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Left untreated, the infection can cause lethargy, diarrhea, fever or vomiting, according to the IAMS website.

Pets can also be carriers and infect other animals and humans, leading to similar symptoms.

If you think you have been infected, contact your doctor asap.
    Oh, and if you want your money back, call P & G at 877-340-8823 for a replacement or a refund.​

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  6. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:
    Good thing I use a prescription dog food for my dog.

7. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    One of the foods on the recall list is sold by your veterinarian. My sister sent me this list a couple of weeks ago, but I stopped buying the big names a long time ago. Too much risk for my taste. I started buying a food brand made in northern Indiana. It's cheaper but also because they put a lot of locally grown crops and animals in their product so to me it's a higher quality.

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Quote:
    Good thing I use a prescription dog food for my dog.

Check with your vet. There was a huge recall of prescription dog food about one month ago.

9. acmeacres

acmeacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Phoenix AZ
    And I might add these lines (other than the Naturally wild) are NOT premium foods. They're over priced middle of the road foods that have been over marketed.

10. shaft0463

shaft0463 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    My hubby dropped a bag of good dog food, and by the time he got the plastic tub to put it into, ants had attacked parts of it. We just left it in the yard, and the chickens have really seemed to enjoy it.

But it's a good brand of food, Costco. No fillers or anything, no soy or corn. A cheaper brand probably wouldn't do a whole lot for them.

I've been contemplating adding some cat food for more protein. If I do it, I'll post my results. I do my own mix right now or corn, oats, BOSS, and alfalfa. I don't want soy because the woman who buys my chicken eggs cannot do soy, and she will bay a good price for every eggs my chickens lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by