dog food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by louisebailes, Aug 20, 2011.

1. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    my chucks love dog biscuits, my little boy gives them alsorts hence why they love him![​IMG]
    however would you say its ok to give to them?[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would suggest to limit the treats. Too many treats is not good for them.

Very good advice. Dog food is like candy to chickens. The trouble is that it is formulated to the needs of dogs and not chickens. Just as you would not feed your children a diet of jellybeans, your chickens should not be fed a diet of treats.​

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Well I think it would depend on the type of Dog Food you are referring to.
    Some Dog Food like Bil-Jac is a very good treat for chickens and I would not by any means consider it, "candy".

Chris

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  5. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    well no wonder the chucks love my little boy they get so excited when he s in the garden!! just like he does when nanny comes lol x thanks

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Dog Food like Bil-Jac is a very good treat for chickens and I would not by any means consider it, "candy".

Sorry. I did not realize that there was dog food out there that had been formulated for chickens. By "candy" I meant that chickens would think of it as a treat, as candy would be to a human, and ignore the correct food that had been supplied to them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by