Dog Forgetting Potty Training

wamtazlady

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Kalispell MT
Have an 8 month old puppy I have had since she was 8 weeks old. She's a tiny thing and Montana is cold and snowy in the winter so she was trained to use a box with a piddle pad in it. She started using it on her own within a week of getting her. Suddenly a week ago I noticed that she was pooping in the box but not peeing in there. She was peeing on my kitchen throw rugs. I removed the rugs and tied her up in the house on a short leash. She has her bed, her food and water dishes, and the potty box. After 9 hours last night she finally used to box. I praised her and gave her a treat and let let her run around the house for an hour before returning her to her bed and box. Well, this morning she had not peed or pooped yet. We sat together on the couch and watched TV. She kept wanting to go under the couch and I would not let her. I finally put her in the box and waited since I knew she really had to go. Nothing. Moved her box back to the original area, put her in there and waited. Nothing. Finally let her off the leash. Within a few minutes she was peeing on the kitchen floor. I yelled and that did not even stop her. I cleaned up the floor and sprayed the floor with the spray I got from the pet store.

Now, I did have some problems with the cats a couple weeks ago. They started to come in as it is getting cold outside. Apparently they do not like the new litter box. After a couple days I realized they were going all over the house so I put back their old littler box. That problem is solved now and they are okay. Am wondering if the scent of the cats has her thinking she can pee anywhere.

I don't know what to do with the dog. I figured we'd go back to square one with the house training. I trained her by praising and giving her a treat when she used the box. Ignored things when she did not. Have to admit after all this time being house trained that I did yell when I saw her pee in the kitchen this morning which was not part of my original training. Since she refuses to go in the box even when she has to go, this is not working at all. I bought a gallon of that stuff to get the odor of pee off things. I plan on using it on the floors and throw rugs. Was checking with others to see if there is something else I can do to get this solved.

Yes she was spayed a month ago. She healed up well. My roommate is a vet tech and checked her out. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the surgery. What I am most afraid of now is that she will get constipated. She normally poops 4 times a day. It's been over 24 hours now since she went. I may have to take her to the vet next week to have her completely checked out.

With the looks she is giving me it really does seem like a rebellion.

Definitely go back to your basics. Sometimes at that age they suddenly stop listening because they are maturing and they they forget their training. Go to your local pound, most dogs there will be 7-12 months of age because most dogs go through that phase of rebellion. I go back to my basics and drill my dogs.

Just to make sure you may want to take a urine sample in to make sure she doesn't have an infection.

Is she spayed?

Yes she was spayed a month ago. She healed up well. My roommate is a vet tech and checked her out. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the surgery. What I am most afraid of now is that she will get constipated. She normally poops 4 times a day. It's been over 24 hours now since she went. I may have to take her to the vet next week to have her completely checked out.

With the looks she is giving me it really does seem like a rebellion.
A good going over is always good. Those little dogs can be the worse as far as wanting to be dominant and controlling. My little one rides the edge because she's so cute. It's hard some days to be the enforcer, but it's important for their long term emotional well being to be the boss. :)

I pretty much follow the Cesar Milan way. I almost always have to do the dominance thing at about that age which consists of me controlling their space and movements until they fully submit. Usually I only have to do it once, and it takes about 10-30 minutes for them to understand. It's not violent nor is there any real corrections except me blocking them, and controlling their movements until they submit willingly on their own. It's hard to explain correctly, but it works well as it is basically all dog body language and dogs get it.

A good going over is always good. Those little dogs can be the worse as far as wanting to be dominant and controlling. My little one rides the edge because she's so cute. It's hard some days to be the enforcer, but it's important for their long term emotional well being to be the boss. :)

I am used to dachshunds. My late husband loved his doxies. This dog is a bichon frise yorkshire terrier cross. She would love to be the dominant one in the household. She acts nothing like a doxie. Yes, she tries to be controlling and dominant and is hyperactive at times. Since she is little and cute visitors to the house often give in to her. I have to remember to make limits as sometimes it would be easier to give in to her persistence.

I plan on keeping her confined or leashed to me when she is not confined. Hoping it doesn't take too long to get back to her house training.

I used to groom dogs. Almost all my yorkie owning clients said their yorkie would do their business in the house somewhere. They are hard to housebreak. Probably more that they don't want to, as opposed to being dumb. Those little dogs can be devious.

Aren't dachshund notoriously hard to house break too? I think it's because you can't tell they are squatting. I had the same problem with basset hounds. :)

I think what bothers me the most is that she was completely house trained. Then all this and I can't figure out what has happened. It was in a matter of 2 or 3 days.

Doxies are also hard to house train. Husband treated them like babies and just said they were puppies and should be allowed to do whatever they wanted. However, the puppy was 2 years old. Once husband passed away the doxies responded very well to crate training.

My husband could call and call the dogs and they would never come to him. I would go outside and say their name and the word "come" and they would come running and sit in front of me.

Tee is starting to use her box again. Not every time, but more than half the time. She's getting treats to reinforce using her box. Still not sure what happened to start all this. I really believe she was scared of the box after having used it for 6 months.

@SunriseChickers The other dog that was in dog obedience school with Tee was learning to use a bell. If I were having her go outside I would use one. It seems to work great. Once we have this issue all fixed I may move the box to the screened in porch. Then a bell would come in handy.

I am used to dachshunds. My late husband loved his doxies. This dog is a bichon frise yorkshire terrier cross. She would love to be the dominant one in the household. She acts nothing like a doxie. Yes, she tries to be controlling and dominant and is hyperactive at times. Since she is little and cute visitors to the house often give in to her. I have to remember to make limits as sometimes it would be easier to give in to her persistence.

I plan on keeping her confined or leashed to me when she is not confined. Hoping it doesn't take too long to get back to her house training.
I used to groom dogs. Almost all my yorkie owning clients said their yorkie would do their business in the house somewhere. They are hard to housebreak. Probably more that they don't want to, as opposed to being dumb. Those little dogs can be devious.

Aren't dachshund notoriously hard to house break too? I think it's because you can't tell they are squatting. I had the same problem with basset hounds. :)

Back
Top Bottom