Dog got 2 of my chicks- questions?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zoa, May 10, 2011.

1. zoa

zoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Buxton, ND
    Our dog who has never showed much interest in our chicks decided to "play" with them today... 2 of them seem the worst, the others were all just scattered and scared but appeared fine. One of the 2 (EE) seems ok, was drenched and had a little blood on it's face and feathers, but otherwise alert and seems ok. The 2nd one (Silkie) was actually in the dogs mouth when we found them. It was obviously in shock & very wet, so I took him in and gave him a warm bath & blow dry (which he seemed to like!) Lots of broken feathers, but I couldn't find any actual injuries. They are both about 7 or 8 weeks old and in the outside coop.

I put them in a large dog kennel inside with straw and a heat lamp and they are both just sitting there. I am going to make them some scrambled eggs too. Is there anything else I should be doing?? I don't have any vitamins- is there anything natural I can use for now?

Thanks for any advice! [​IMG]

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I guess I would have them in the crate overnight and see how they are doing. And keep the dog away from them [​IMG] Which can be hard to do.... My silly half dead dog perked up when we got the chickens last year- she is 12 and seriously wouldn't get up very often and now she sees chicken and is running, or if she even thinks the door is open she is trying to figure out a way to kill more chickens... Darn DOG!!!

Good Luck!

3. zoa

zoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Buxton, ND
    they are both fine today- thanks for the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by