Dog got ahold of chicken...please advise!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by efountain, Aug 6, 2013.

1. efountain

efountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    SC
    Can someone give me advice on whether I need to doctor my hen? This morning one of my hens got out of coop area and one of the dogs got ahold of her. Hen is acting fine...a little more skittish but out foraging in pen again w/ other chickens. She lost a good bit of her tail feathers and at that site she appears to be raw but not really bloody. Thats the only wound I see. Do I need to medicate her with anything or do anything else to help her? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have only had chickens about 3 months.

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    spray with bluekote and just keep an eye on her.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Put some antibiotic ointment (not any stuff ending in "caine" though, as that is bad for chickens) on the raw site and observe her carefully. If any of the other chickens start pecking her isolate her or spray BlueKote on the pecked area.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My favorite treatment whenever I have an injured chicken is a warm bath with diluted betadine. My girls relax and seem to enjoy the warm water, and the betadine has a chance to disinfect the wounds you see as well as any that might be hidden under the feathers. I do this for a couple of days, then let them heal.

5. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    Betadine solution is great for open wounds. Inspect her thoroughly. If her skin isn't broken or abraded, then it won't be of any use. You'll need to gently separate her feathers so you can see the skin. I found blowing briskly on the feathers separates them so I can easily see the skin. Monitor her daily for any changes (swelling, lethargy, appetite, etc.). Hopefully, it was only superficial injuries. Fingers x'd :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by