One of our Red Rock hens flew over the fence this morning and our lab decided to have a play date with her. I don't see any sign of broken bones, bleeding or other trauma, but she's got a huge bare spot on her back where the dog ripped out a whole bunch of feathers. We rinsed the area with saline solution, slathered on some antibiotic ointment, and put her in a cat cage with fresh straw, water and a few treats. She's inside where it's warmer, and seems to be resting comfortably, though earlier she gave us a scare as she was lying on her side and actually looked dead. I also gave her a crushed baby aspirin in a bit of yogurt and she ate most of that. I was thinking she's probably in a bit of pain, that's why the aspirin. She's got some baked squash (one of her favourites) and a "chicken cake" that I make for my girls...full of grains, cornmeal, seeds, raisins, molasses, and other goodies, and it looks like she's been nibbling at those too. She's drinking a bit of water also, and has moved around a few times, standing up, etc. This happened about 8 hours ago so I'm hopeful that if the shock didn't kill her she'll be able to make a recovery. But I have a couple of questions. First, her back looks pretty raw but it's not bleeding from puncture wounds or anything, just a bit of oozing from the feathers having been ripped out. Should I continue applying antibiotic ointment or just let it "air dry?" How long would you suggest continuing? Should I cover the area at all, or just leave it alone? Secondly, she's isolated from the others now, and I worry about how long to keep her apart. Obviously I don't want them picking on her, and I'm concerned about her staying warm out in the coop as she's missing a good sized patch of feathers. But I also don't want to keep her away from the flock for too long. Can anyone suggest an appropriate time frame, or what her condition should be before I put her back in with the others? Any other suggestions or recommendations gratefully accepted!