Dog got hit by car earlier!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by LilJoe, Dec 30, 2016.

1. LilJoe

LilJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    I'm sorry I can't really explain everything right now! She has a inch long inch wide cut on her head and she is bleeding from one nostril. She is sleeping and I'm not sure what to do. Plz help!

2. LilJoe

Jul 15, 2016
    I want to take her to the vet but my parents are doing something with friends

3. LilJoe

Jul 15, 2016
    What do I do? I put Neosporin on her cut...now what?

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    hopefully they are home now to take her to the vet? internal injuries are the main concern. head trauma, since she is bleeding from the nostril, is the biggest concern.
    There really isn't much you can do for at home treatment in either case. Even if she looks better this morning, vet has to be a priority. Dogs are good at hiding medical issues and internal injuries can be a slow painful way to die and by the time you notice something is off, it can be too late

5. LilJoe

Jul 15, 2016
    The payment for the vet visit would be to much since it's considered an emergency.She seemed sore the first couple of days but today she is walking just fine.I do hope she isn't hiding that she's in pain.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    She really should go to the vet regardless, most animals do hide their injuries and sometimes the after effects won't show for days.

I would take any of my animals in for treatment, even if they had no obvious injury, if they'd been hit by a car. You'll sleep much better at night knowing that she's been checked over.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree about the vet, even people can have a concusion and feel fine at first and then die soon after. I am thinking of Liam Neeson's late wife.

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    vets only charge an emergency fee if you go in afterhours. as long as it's during regular business hours, you aren't charged more than the standard visit fee.

dogs ALWAYS hide that they are in pain. Just as chickens will. Their instincts are "showing injury means attack by predators". You need to have her checked out. Yes, she is most likely fine but again, she may not be. Is the few dollars for a checkup worth the risk of waking up one day to learn that she had a cracked rib that has now punctured a lung because you didn't know to keep her quiet and resting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by