Dog got into the chocolates

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by annaraven, Dec 27, 2010.

  1. annaraven

    annaraven Born this way

    Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    I got a box of chocolates.

    Sitting there tonight, saw him with something round in his mouth. I called him over and when he gave it to me, I recognized it. Oops .

    So we are at the doggie ER and they're making him barf.

    Silly us for leaving the closed box on the coffee table.
     
  2. geebs

    geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

    4,800
    14
    231
    Sep 28, 2008
    [​IMG] Poor baby... I am glad you saw him do it...otherwise... well [​IMG] not so good.
     
  3. HogbackMtnChickns

    HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

    140
    0
    89
    Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    My border collie x (see photo to left) helped her self to a half bag of Hershey kisses I carelessly left on the coffee table. She delicately unwrapped every one. I came home and found little bits of foil all over the floor - completely freaked out - and ran next door to my friendly neighborhood vet tech. She told me to keep an eye on her, but that she would probably be fine. She said it is the expensive dark chocolate that can really wreak havoc on the pooches. She didn't believe me about the wrappers - and had to come over to see! My girl didn't even get an upset stomach. She was three when that happened. She will be 12 years old this summer - still going strong.

    Good for you to run to the vet - but I bet your dog will be just fine. Thieving little wretches!!!
     
  4. annaraven

    annaraven Born this way

    Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    So they made him barf and then gave him activated charcoal to absorb the rest.

    They said he'd eaten "a lot of chocolate". He also apparently had recently eaten a hairball, paper, an almond... BUT his heart was normal rhythm and his lungs were clear. Yay! So, he's home now and doing fine. I'm much relieved.

    That was the most expensive box of chocolates I've ever had!
     
  5. Illia

    Illia Crazy for Colors

    16,242
    105
    336
    Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've had a small dog go through a bag of chocolates and a large dog also go through a whole bag of chocolates before. . . Thankfully, and also congrats to you too, mine never had issues. I think it is because most, if not all, chocolate sold these days has too little cacao percentage to actually harm a dog.
     
  6. Yay Chicks!

    Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,787
    36
    213
    Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It does sometimes depend on the type of chocolate. Also, certain breeds of dogs are more susceptible to reacting poorly to it. Glad yours is going to be okay.
     
  7. Kansaseq

    Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

    Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Chocolate ingestion is a very common emergency case we see at our ER. While it is true that the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is, even milk chocolate can be toxic, if enough is eaten. If your dog does get into chocolate, try to estimate how much they got, and call your local doggie er. We have a chart that can calculate how dangerous the amount of chocolate eaten, as compared to the size of your dog. Sometimes they don't eat enough to cause problems, but in large enough amounts, or even small amounts of the darker stuff (baking, dark, semi-sweet) it can be toxic.

    I don't have my chart at home with me, but if anyone is interested, I can try to bring it home tomorrow night and post it.
     
  8. Sjisty

    Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

    4,247
    256
    291
    May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    My dog got into a bag of Hershey Kisses one time. She pooped colored foil for two days!
     
  9. annaraven

    annaraven Born this way

    Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Quote:Yep - that's what they did. We had to guess on how much he'd eaten and made it clear we weren't completely sure. They said he was borderline, and I just didn't want to take the chance. He's far too important to us to just guess... So even though it was expensive, it was worth the peace of mind.
     
  10. Kansaseq

    Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

    Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    glad your pup's ok, Annaraven [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by