1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog got loose and attacked my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Majikthise, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Majikthise

Majikthise Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Looks like she may have a broken leg! what do I do?!

2. GoldenChicks16

GoldenChicks16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Please post a picture so we can see where its broken, different places in the leg call for different treatments when they are broken.
    Can you tell where its broken at? But first off seperate her from the flock and bring her inside so she wont be stressed out. Is there any other damage to her? Puncture wounds?

3. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    well i just went and looked her over again and it looks like her tail feathers were ripped out and she is a bit wobbly when walking but she will walk. I had checked out her leg and cannot tell where it is broken. I found a gash at her back end though

4. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    I am not entirely sure that it is broken, it didn't feel broken anywhere but she was not using it like her other leg. I also have the dogs inside the house and the cats in the garage, her hen house is the safest most familiar place for her I would think. If I brought her anywhere near these animals I think it would stress her more

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. GoldenChicks16

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Clean out the gash and rinse it with a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/840628/anyone-ever-sew-a-chicken-back-together
    Youll want to stitch her up and the link above will tell you how to do that ^^^ Can you post a picture of her leg? Maybe one of us can help find the place by how it looks.. However, it might not even be broken and it could be pulling the wound, this would cause her to want to not walk.

6. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    I will post pictures a bit later. I am going to see if I can find a separate area inside for her, and so that I can take pictures (just got dark out)

Thank you so much for your help, I hope she gets through this.

7. GoldenChicks16

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    Youre very welcome and so do I. Please keep me updated, I am rooting for her.[​IMG]

8. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    She made it through the night and we let her walk around the yard today. She has puncture wounds under her wing and near her vent but I believe her leg is fine. We cleaned the wounds with the peroxide water and have her inside in a quiet area. She seems to be eating drinking and pooping okay, not great but okay. No blood in her scat. Do you think she will make it? Is there anything I can do for her?

9. Majikthise

Aug 19, 2013
    These are images of the wounds I found after the attack. we have since washed with 50/50 hydrogen solution, and applied neosporin, plus gauze and wrap to the under wing wound. Not sure about what to do with the wound around her rear!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. GoldenChicks16

Mar 12, 2013
    Winder, Georgia
    It doesn't look like the skin was punctured near the rear, was it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by