Dog Got My Chicks - One Is Still Alive Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmwright, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    My neighbors dog got under our fence and attacked my chickens. Two are dead, one is still alive. I don't know what to do with her. She's breathing hard and her eyes are opening and closing a lot. I don't know what I should do with her. She's definetely been bitten, I don't see blood. Help please. What do I do??

2. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    How old? If its still a pretty young chick, I would take it inside and put it in a small area and make sure it has warmth. Give it food & water and you may way to get some PolyVisol (no iron formula) and give a few drops a day to it. It helps mine when something is wrong..thats about all I know to do..Good Luck!

3. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Shock is her biggest enemy right now. Be extremely comforting to try to calm her down. She had witnessed and experienced unspeakable horror. See if anyone can get you Rescue Remedy if you don't have any handy and mix with a bit of water and give her a couple of drops (may help with stress). It may take an hour or more to calm her down. She may close her eyes a lot. Hold her gently and keep telling her softly that it's going to be okay. Your #1 goal is to keep her from succumbing to shock. Be in a quiet calm area for this. Once she is stabilized you can assess injuries.

I hope she'll be okay. Just horrible about the other 2. Does she have any good buddies? If so, having a good feather friend with her can help.

Blasted irresponsible people with dogs - so sick of these countless tragedies.

JJ

(I have found that sometimes they can have very fixable injuries but nearly die from the shock. Hen Ellie was attacked by a dog and nearly died in my arms from shock - I really thought I was going to lose her but I kept talking to her and calming her and then a friend brought her roo buddy to her [so I didn't have to leave her for even a minute] and that calmed them both down. 90 minutes later she was stable enough to assess and her wound even looked very bad but the vet was able to fix her up with some stitches and with TLC she is the picture of health today.)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. 500592

500592 In the Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    if her conditions worsen you may want to put out of her miserys just rember if you ave to it would way more humane than letting it suffer

5. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    She died laying with me in my bed with her friend. I am so heartbroken right now. The remaining one is crying and I feel horrible. [​IMG]

We are heading out today to find some more. I've never lost a pet this way before and it's so hard for me.

Thanks for your help.

6. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I honestly am really sorry for your loss. Just remember she is happier now and she is no longer in pain. I honestly am crying for you. [​IMG] [​IMG] I hope you feel better.

7. kmwright

kmwright Songster

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    My husband didn't like them at first. He was bawling as he buried them. The BR was his favorite and he couldn't even look at her he was so upset.

Thanks for the warm words, you all are wonderful.

8. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    I am so sorry and so upset right along with you and your good-hearted hubby. Heartbreaking - poor babies [​IMG]

Please - as soon as you can stand it - read some of the threads here on BYC about dog attacks and what truly should be done to honor the fallen and to help create a paradigm shift that could save other winged lives in the future. Using the search button above, search names like 'horsejody' and 'jjthink' and there are so many others who have threads about dog attacks. Also search 'dog' or 'dog attack'.

I guess it's too late because it sounds like they are already buried but photos would have been an important part of proving what happened and opening people's eyes to the travesty that can result when their sweet 'Fido' is free ranging. [​IMG] (though maybe you took some? I know it's grizzly but it's important for people to see, it's important if reporting to authorities, etc.)

Also, for her sweet sad friend, give one or two drops Rescue Remedy (mixed with a bit of water if not the pet version) - may help with stress/anxiety. If you don't have on hand, most health focused stores or even really godo pharmacies will have. (Bach flower remedy that you can google for more info)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JJ (also jjthink)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. jjthink

jjthink Crowing 11 Years

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thinking of you and sad hen Kristen [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: