Dog got my girls ... again

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kcaywood, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I am so vigilant these days, locking up the girls at night, keeping the dogs separate, but something went wrong ... they were all outside the coop this morning, though inside the enclosing fence, which protects them from my dogs. But the youngest pullets were small enough to squeeze out. I found them in pieces on the patio. I'm a small backyard chicken keeper and have just one nice hen each from many breeds. He killed my Buttercup, my Exchequer Leghorn, and my EE. He killed my Andalusian last month - all my white egg layers are gone. He's killed about 22 total.

That dog's about to be gone too ... I'm taking him to the shelter to have him euthanized. It's that time anyway ... he's nearly 14 and falls over often as his back legs fail him ... How, how, how did he muster the energy to kill all three of my pullets??? I'm SO done with dogs. Giving the other, younger one away this weekend too.

I'll get outside cats to control the rats and motion lights for security. Goodbye, dogs.

2. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    You know - this is what dogs do so you can;t really blame the dog though I know right now you are rightly cross at him.

One thing though before you euthanize the dog and give away the other and replace them with outside cats! CATS KILL CHICKENS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY YOUNG AND INJURED ONES!!!!

Oesdog [​IMG] Sorry for your loss - moral here is if you got dogs secure your hens! [​IMG] I feel your pain.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Sometimes you have to feel you just can't win. 14 years, can't stand up and still have the strength to kill the chickens. Give the dog credit. He wanted to go out with a bang. You'll always remember him. I'm do fortunate with Morgan, my dog. He just don't care about the chickens. I have seen him go herd in a stragler when they come to the coop but never touches them at all.

Really sorry for you all your troubles.

4. kcaywood

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Thank you both for your kind sympathies ...

Oesdog - great point. I need to find out more about what cats can do before I put myself in a worse position yet.

Ole rooster, you made me chuckle - thanks, I needed that.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I have a cat outside, there are a few strays too, but I never let my girls run free till they are big enough to not temt the cat. Now they will eat together...

I have a chicken killer dog and an I don't care about the chickens dog... They are the ones locked up in a fenced area, and the chickens get to range. LOL.

Sorry about your loss...

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Sorry to hear what happened to your hens. It seems the smaller rarer, best breeds get taken first. My spotted leghorn pullet gets ganged up on by the roos because she sticks out...

What kind of dogs are you dealing with? that is a big part. My poop zu/toy poodle cross actually gets his butt beaten by my new hampshire roo. Ive got a video of them running and chasing eachother in circles. If i sent it in to americas funniest home videos i would win. Its great.

Hope this cheers you up a tad and just try to enjoy your hens you have left ... good choice with taking care of the dogs. its what i would do. My dad actually shot an old lab we had who must have killed about 500 birds in his lifetime. He was like houdini on a chain,,as soon as he was off it kill anything he could catch. one day a dozen ri red pullets just about to lay was too much and my dad shot him. It was pretty sad because i had the dog for 10 years or so and had got him under the christmas tree when i was 6 or so. He even survived 11 days stuck in the woods by a 3 foot length of chain caught on a stump in the dead of winter and only survived on snow...finally found him heard him barking miles away someone called us. Was a crazy crazy vigorous dude But he had to go. [​IMG]

7. kcaywood

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Nova, lol ... I do the very same thing. On my days off, I have dogs penned up in the garage so the chickens can range. That's encouraging about the cats and chickens eating together ... I'm going to research it more and perhaps give cats a try.

jbourget, your stories did cheer me up some, thanks. My old dog is a 100+ lb. Rottie/Shepherd mix. He's nearly 14. Wow, that was one hellion of a Lab you had. I know it's their instinct, and if they were killing rats I'd be cheering them on. But yes, at some point it can be too much. All the lost lives ... the lost eggs, and the loss of all the joy chickens bring. The dog is just not worth it.

That said, it must have been sad for you to lose your crazy ol' dog ... Thanks for sharing your stories.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Dog can be train not to kill.....we have a member in the peafowl section.........her dogs all run with her free ranging birds, peafowl,chicken,ducks ,and geese. I love seeing her pics of all together.

now I do hate all my neigbors dogs , they let them roam......no good to kill or remove them they just get more.

9. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    It is a difficult choice, for sure. I know people who have kept loyal farm dogs for years and then that one day comes and they "turn" and kill a calf, and that's that. They cross that line and the trust is gone. I love my dog (a pit bull husky mix) and he is quite vigilant in keeping my yard protected, but I would never trust him alone with the ladies.

Don't be surprised however if you see an increase in pests- Snakes, rats, mice, birds, cats, ect. Without the presence of a dog to ward them off.

10. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I know you're angry, but don't take the old guy to the shelter. He will sit there, scared and not understanding. Surely in his 14 yrs he's earned more that that. Take him to the vet and make it a peaceful passing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by