Dog got my two EE's

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tiss, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I could just cry. This afternoon, a cast-off dog got my two EE's. I went to give my other chickens an afternoon snack and found the rottweiler mix snoozing peacefully in the chicken coop. The stiffening corpses of Cricket and Martha lay out back.

I'm not so sad about Cricket as he had a date with the crock pot anyway, but I'm really torn up about losing Martha.

Now my poor girls are confined to the coop in 95 degree weather and that dog has a date with my rifle if he ever shows his muzzle around here again.

Somehow this is harder than losing a bird to a fox or some animal that actually eats them. This dog just killed them and left their dead bodies intact.

RIP Cricket and Martha

[​IMG]

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I am very sorry. Tears me up when I lose a chicken, they become friends.
    Wish you knew who the dog belonged to so you could at least get replacement cost.

3. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I think he he doesn't have an owner. No tags, rather skinny. We live on some acreage and I know all the neighbors and have never seen him before. I just went outside to take care of the girls and he was out there. Husband has the rifle.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    You gotta do what you gotta do to protect your flock. Very sorry for your loss.

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am sorry for your loss too. I am new to chickens this year and I have lost 4 to the dog next door. My fault, they leave our yard. So now I have clipped the wings and the little ones are confined to a run. I hate to do it, I wanted them to have my whole backyard, but I cant lose another bird that way.
    The last 2 were from a group of three and the third remaining is beside herself. it is so sad, I am going to try to find her a friend next weekend at a chicken swap.

thanks for sharing and hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by