Dog got rooster, what to do ?

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
My dog got a hold of my Buff orp. rooster and it has a 3" diameter bald area under the tail feathers with a couple of puncture wounds, not very deep and very little blood, He seems okay, minus his pride, is there anything I should put on the wound or just let it heal on it's own / Winter is coming, how long for feathers to grow back ? Will the hens leave the wound alone ? it's not real visible. -Thanks

My dog got a hold of my Buff orp. rooster and it has a 3" diameter bald area under the tail feathers with a couple of puncture wounds, not very deep and very little blood, He seems okay, minus his pride, is there anything I should put on the wound or just let it heal on it's own / Winter is coming, how long for feathers to grow back ? Will the hens leave the wound alone ? it's not real visible. -Thanks
I would put some antibiotic ointment on his wounds (Don't use the kind with painkillers) or Neosporin. Im not sure about the feather aspect. I would leave him where he could see the hens but they can't reach him just to be safe.

Sounds like some good advise up above, unless you just want to buy a brand new rooster. Even if you want a new one, you can fix the old one and keep both. Never hurts to have a backup plan B. And soon as his Butt is healed, the old one will teach the young one some manners if his hormones get to flaring up. :gig

Last edited:
My favorite go-to is Vetricyn. If you have any kind of syringe so you can flush out whatever you have for a puncture wound, those can be worse than we realize, depending on what your dog did once poor roo was in his mouth. But yeah, otherwise Vetricyn and Neosporin. He should probably get a couple days off from the girls until you've got any blood off and there's no scab to pick at.

[QUOTE="Shezadandy, post: 21855140, member: He should probably get a couple days off from the girls until you've got any blood off and there's no scab to pick at.[/QUOTE]
Yeah! Don't want him causing any horsmoaning! :lau

Back
Top Bottom