dog got skunked! sugesstions??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sunket77, Jun 8, 2011.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    My dog got skunked last night! and man does she stink! I need tried and true methods that work to get her clean, I figured I would try on here b/c there are lots of people with dogs that live in the country! And I also figured that some of you might have your own opinions on what works!

2. jinxschuh

jinxschuh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Northern Utah
    LOTS of tomato juice and it may take several tomato juice baths depending on how much of the skunk oil she got on her.

Never fun...

3. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    http://mythbustersresults.com/episode16

All
    commonly known methods were tested and compared on Mythbusters, including tomato juice and the Vinegar and water douche and the clear stand out winner was the Peroxide/Baking soda/DAWN Soap recipe left on for ten minutes. There is always going to be a minor lingering odor at the base of the coat for a few days, and when wet so don't discount the remedy if that occurs.

Use DAWN in the recipe because skunk is oil based and is is proven to break up oils better than most other dish soaps.

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
    ¼ cup of baking soda
    1 teaspoon of DAWN dish soap

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We've used the peroxide/dawn/baking soda mixture on our golden retriever (LOTS of hair) and it worked REALLY well...TWICE [​IMG]

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    NE PA, near NY
    Just remember that with this mixture you have to make it up fresh each time. You can't save some for a later scrub. Otherwise I have never found anything that works better,especially for the price.

6. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Depends on how bad the dog is. My dog was dripping wet with skunk spray. It was in her eyes, her mouth. It was the most horrible thing I have ever smelled. I washed her with the peroxide/dawn/baking soda mixture for two hours....every day for a week. Then it finally became tolerable. She still smelled when wet for a year.... [​IMG] I feel your pain. My friend told me there are two kinds of dogs. Those who get sprayed once and those who get sprayed once a week. Luckily....one time and my dog learned.

7. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    There is a product made for taxidermy use(can't remember the name),taxi's use it to get the "animal" smell out of finished mounts.It's the most effective stuff i have ever used,one wash and the smell is gone.

8. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    Quote:Some dogs love the skunk smell,i use skunk scent for coyote bait,they love it.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:This is what works. And for the lingering odor, use Febreeze.

10. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:This mix is great. Do this first. Petsmart sells a product that's called "Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover " It is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. It'll remove the smell instantly. It'll also work on any surfaces that got skunky - clothing - YOU after cleaning the dog.

My mom's lab (my old dog that I gave to her when hers passed away) has killed THREE skunks. And... he happens to do this only when I'm up visiting her in CT, so I've had the pleasure of de-skuking him every time.

Tomato juice is bunk and doesn't work worth a lick. I know from experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by