Dog got to our hen. Skin tears and won't close her mouth.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deannalmoody, Sep 9, 2010.

1. deannalmoody

deannalmoody New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi all, first time posting here. I wish it were a happier intro [​IMG]

Two of our hens escaped the chicken pen and one of our dogs got them. Our leghorn died and we're crushed. Our little survivor girl is about 7 months, a Speckled Sussex. She has a pretty good tear on her back, exposing the 'meat'. It's about 1.5 inches in diameter. As well as a few other smaller tears. I flushed them with a diluted peroxide solution until they looked clean and trimmed the surrounding feathers so they didn't get into the open wounds. She's in a box in the house staying warm and clean and safe. I let her out in a different yard yesterday to get some sun and walk around. Her gait is... different. I'm sure she's sore. It doesn't feel like anything is broken... but I'm new to chickens and don't really know what I'm looking for. Also, one of her ears was bleeding a little. The bleeding stopped quickly, the eye on that side seems to be swollen shut. Her mouth is hanging open a slight amount, and she doesn't seem to be able to close it.

Any ideas? The skin and the eye are with in my realm here, but the mouth, I don't know if that means something terrible, or?? If she will heal, I will help her, absolutely. If she is beyond healing, I'd like to end her suffering...

Please help. Thanks,

Deanna (and LaVerne the Speckled Sussex [named after my Gramma])

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You know, if she survived over night and she's eating that's a very good sign. I'd get some kind of topical treatment for the injury on the back (like neosporin).

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chickens can heal amazingly from wounds. If her beak seems sore or torn, give her soft foods: cook her a hard boiled egg and mash it up, or add water to her feed to make it soft. Mash a baked potato for her, soft fruits or vegies, a bit of canned tuna or cat food. Keep flies away from her wound, and if you need one, order a chicken diaper so she can stay in the house for awhile (www.chickendiapers.com)

4. deannalmoody

deannalmoody New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Thank you!! I really really want her to live. We are sappy, and we love her. We're going to the feed store today, they have a chicken specific topical cream.

We're so new to chickens, and we've never had an injured one. She just looks so broken [​IMG] I feel so bad. It's the mouth hanging open that is really worrisome for me. Thanks again.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Shock, maybe?

6. deannalmoody

deannalmoody New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Ooh, thank you. We will cook her up some soft foods right away. Great idea.

7. deannalmoody

deannalmoody New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    What does shock in a chicken look like?

8. deannalmoody

deannalmoody New Egg

Sep 9, 2010
    Oh good, her eye that was swollen shut opened up a little this afternoon. She has a big bruise under her wing, poor girl. She's looking better today. darn thing laid an egg. How do I tell her she's got the month off, sheez.
    Oh, and she pooped, so that's good. And I soggied up her feed and she is eating a little bit out of my hand. <3

The tears on her back look nice today. Clean and progressing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by