Dog Grooming Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChooksinChoppers, Nov 3, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    We recently got 2 shihTzu x puppies and living in Florida I know they will have to be clipped at some point, which, having been a hairdresser I know I can do myself...maybe the rocker/mohawk look? [​IMG] ...the question is can you use regular people hairclippers? or will they get clogged up or something? right now all I need is my scissors to cut off any poo poo "dags" they get every now and then...but it wont be long and their fur will be too hot.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My mom has 2 Yorkies, I used regular people clippers to cut their hair and had no problems. I will say though, Yorkies have soft, fine hair like a person. So I don't know if that would make a difference. Good luck!

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Actually, if you are willing to take a couple of seconds to comb them every day and keep the knots out of their coats, there is no reason at all to clip them in the summer.

Dog coats insulate against heat as well as against cold. Not to mention how glorious they look in a well maintained coat.

4. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    1: let me just say you do not HAVE to clip them, dog hair/fur is an insulator which mens warm in winter cool in summer...
    however, the tzu coat needs alot of upkeep if you want to keep it long...

2: can you groom yourself, aboslutly

3: can you use people clippers...officially yes as long as there high quaility clippers...but id personally suggest a good set of pet clippers, or at very minimum invest in good ceramic blades specficically for use on the dogs if your going to be grooming them...as a hairdresser you knwo the importance of GOOD clippers...
    what most people use for people hair clippers are from walmart ect and are "cheap" sets so in those cases id say absolutly not...
    but a hair dresser has acess to REAL clippers and knows how important good sharp blades are too so id say yes it can be done [​IMG]
    and feel free to get creative too [​IMG]
    for tzus id suggest a good set of clippers, some realy good thinning shears and a seriously good pair of scissors...depending on how youd like to groom them, hand scissoring is hard but absolutly worth it

5. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Oh well..thanks guys! I was sure they would get too hot with all that hair..especially in summer. Florida gets SO hot and humid but then again they will be indoor doggies mostly, so at least they won't freeze in the A/C like my poor short haired JRT Rosie.

6. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    cheap clippers willn't last. More important then clipper is the blades. Higher the # blade the shorter the cut. I order a lot of supplies from pet edge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by