dog had a seizure last night

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
Poor Leo. He had a grand mal seizure last night. He has a rare case of adult onset hydrocephalus that causes epileptic seizures. He was doing so well. The doggie neurologist has him taking dexamethasone to releive the pressure on his brain. He was doing so well that his medicine was about to be reduced. This sucks. He had gone about 72 days seizure free. Please pray for Leo.

Quote:
Awww. I am so sorry. My best doggie, Margaret, a springer had seizures late in her life. She had several and lived for a number of years after the first.

Leo sounds like he is getting the best care.
hugs.gif

Hi I am a vet tech at ethridge animal in central illinois,in the smaller breeds,yours looks like an apso,or maltese, we have been seeing an increase in seizures,the med, seems to help,however this is the 1st case i ,ve ever seen of hydrocephalus in canine.Watch for a normal uninary output which should be between .25 to .50ml per kg/pounds of animal per hour..in some cases we r seeing shock/seizures can lead to urinary tract trama,good luck and hope she is doing well.

my sister has a border collie that gets those too, she had her on meds too but they were not really helping. She is not on anything now and they happen ever so often. The poor dog also knows she is going to have one and she will go over to my sister when it comes on.

Quote:
Leo is on dexamethasone to lower the pressure on his brain. Nobody knows what caused the hydrocephalus (it normally shows up in puppies). It could have been an old injury from when he was a baby (before we got him), or a virus, or it could have been a reaction to his vaccinations. We will never know for sure. The pictures of the inside of his brain clearly showed pockets of fluid where they shouldn't be. Leo seems to have pretty normal pee output, but thanks for the advice. You never know what trouble can pop up in the future.
Jody

I work with a fellow whose dog has seizures, and he says that a naturopath told him to keep a small bottle of rose oil on hand, and to allow the dog to smell the rose oil when she is having a seizure. He does this, and he says that it seems to reduce the severity and duration of the dog's seizures when she smells the rose oil vs. when she does not. He says you have to use good rose oil, and be very gentle and calm; don't force the bottle in the dog's face and don't get excited or worked up about the seizure. I don't know if this will work for your dog, but my co-worker says that the advice has really helped his dog's quality of life, since the seizures cannot be cured or stopped, but now they can be softened and reduced in size. Good luck with your little friend.

Back
Top Bottom