Dog hair in nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by watchdogps, Jun 23, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    After brushing about a cocker spaniel sized mound of hair off my dogs last night, I wondered if I might be able to use that in my nest boxes when I get them?

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Hmm, I guess you could use it if you really wanted to. You could also go on Etsy.com and have your fur turned into a felted likeness of your dog, also a possibility. Ha ha

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I've heard pet hair is not a good idea.. gets tangled in chickens' feet. There may be other reasons... I've just never heard of using pet hair for nesting material.[​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I can't imagine it would be good for the chickens digestive track. You'd be pulling out of their rear end. Chickens eat everything, including hair.

5. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    eww..nevermind! I was just thinking they might like it, since we are told to throw it in the yard for wild birds to use for their nests.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    LOL... I read a post on here where someone pulled a long hair out of their chicks rear end. Bleh! I've done it to our dog once, but not a chick. Thank goodness for rubber gloves. [​IMG]

7. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    You can also chop it up finely and add it to your compost

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:Thanks for making me spew my coffee.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've put dog hair and dryer lint out for the wild birds and they are too afraid of it to take it for their nests. I had heard somewhere that dog hair could keep predators away but that doesn't work for me. Had to laugh about the "cocker spaniel sized," lump of hair combed out of the dogs. I used to raise show Cockers so that brought back some memories .

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for making me spew my coffee.

Now imagine wearing it in the rain!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by