Dog has jumped my fence and killed chickens on 2 occasions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dancingdeda, Oct 3, 2011.

1. dancingdeda

dancingdeda New Egg

Oct 2, 2011
    I am wondering if anyone can offer any advise. I have a small back yard flock just 4 hens. The eggs are a great amazing bonus but they are really my pets and I love each and every one of them. About 3 weeks ago a dog jumped my fence and killed one of my buff orps and injured another one. I took the injured one to the vet, she had a huge gash that required stitches and staples. She was on the mend and doing great. Her feathers were growing back!! The dog owner came to my house right after the attack but I was so in shock I told her to leave. My 2 year old daughter and 4 year old son were with my and saw the dead chicken......totally traumatic!! This afternoon the same dog jumped my fence and killed the other buff. We were all inside and my dog started barking......we went out to the back yard and the chicken was again injured but not dead....my husband suffocated the chicken....horrible!! I called police and they came and talked to me and the dog owner. Tomorrow I am supposed to be contacted by animal control and i don't know what to do.

I am a dog owner and if my dog had done something like that I would not go back to the same spot. I feel like it was total owner negligence. I went from having 4 chickens to having 2! My chicken went from pecking and eating in my back yard to being dead......

The dog owner did pay for the vet bill but I am still upset...I have 2 dead chickens. What if my children had been in the back yard? What happens the next time?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. user104534

user104534 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    Hopefully animal control will take the dog away. If they don't, keep your chickens locked up and wait for it. He will be back. When he comes back, shoot it/stab it/hit it whatever. Anyway that'll kill it works. May sound cruel but this dog only deserves what your two chickens got. Good luck!

P.S. KIlling a dog that's on your property threatening your animals should be perfectly legal, in case you're wondering.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would charge the dog owner for the cost of both of your dead chickens that his dog has killed

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:x2 You have every right to protect your animals from injury. Sucks for the dog, 'cause it's just being a dog, but now that he's started, he will keep coming back. Other than being fined & possibly losing their dog, the owners don't suffer as much as the dog.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2 You have every right to protect your animals from injury. Sucks for the dog, 'cause it's just being a dog, but now that he's started, he will keep coming back. Other than being fined & possibly losing their dog, the owners don't suffer as much as the dog.

x3

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Around here, any dog killing livestock gets shot. Period, zero tolerance. Once they are dead and buried, they don't come back for more.

7. momoeight

momoeight Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    So sorry [​IMG]
    Hugs to you and your kids

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. UncleTommy

UncleTommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Sanger, CA
    Call animal control, having that dog jump the fence once is an accident, twice is just negligence. It will happen again, its the owner, not the dog that needs to be taught a lesson.

9. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    I had this happen too, only nobody knew who owned the dogs. That was in 2009 and the same dogs still come around but I have
    an electric mesh fence and they yelp and run away. see my byc page for more details. good luck!

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

It is their responsibility to keep the dog contained by whatever means....taller fence, electric wire on the top etc....I would also add the cost of the chickens to their bill....If it came around hunting again I WOULD SHOOT IT!!!!! So sorry for your loss and all that you have had to go thru....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by