1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Dog has toxidia (coccidiosis) from chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BustersMom, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BustersMom

BustersMom Hatching

Jul 22, 2011
    Our vet called and said that my 4 year old Australian Cattle Dog has a positive for toxidia. He is not concerned about the dog if the toxidia came from our chickens... but wanted us to know it was present. I have researched toxidia and found it is coccidiosis in the chickens... all mature layers, 2 - 5 years old. The hens had this one other time and I fed them the medicated chick feed and got rid of the parasite. I am reading that cottage cheese will help the dog and may help the chickens. Anyone ever try this method of treatment?

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    To the best of my knowledge (my last parasitology course was long ago) coccidiosis is species specific; ie, the cocci that your dog has did not come from your chickens but rather from another dog. Albon generally works well at curing dogs although some seem to have a carrier type of infection that can flare up when stressed.

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think there *might* be one type of coccidia that is not species specific. @dawg53 , were you the one that pointed that out to me?

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kathy, do you have more information on this? Also the term 'toxidia' is foreign to me, and a Google search did not provide and information.

Thanks - Geo.

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: