Dog hates my chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 501chickenlady, May 26, 2017.

1. 501chickenlady

501chickenlady Just Hatched

May 26, 2017
    Ok y'all. I have 5 chickens and I want a bunch more. My husbands dog is a Westie (15-20 lb terrier) and she has killed several of my chickens. I have tried a shock collar, trying the dead chickens to her and making her wear them, spanking her with the dead chicken(s) and NOTHING is working. Please help.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Spanking with dead chickens?
    Uhm. No.
    Train her, put her on a leash with a training collar/choke chain and correct her when she shows any interst. Do not let her alone with them.

Gary

sourland likes this.
  3. 501chickenlady

May 26, 2017
    Thanks. The spanking with the dead chicken was not my idea, but I was willing to try any advice.

4. GilligansGirls

GilligansGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    South Texas
    My Coop
    You have your work cut out for you! I have worked with Westies (we call them West Highland terrorists! :) ) I love them buts that's what they do, it's in their DNA.
    Gary is right your going to have to be right on top of her all the time with a leash. After some improvement try a long line, a 20-30ft piece of long cord, so she feels like she has some freedom. If she makes a move yank on it and scream NO CHICKENS! It doesn't have to be that but it sounded good.
    Good luck. Now I'm just hoping my black lab doesn't want to retrieve mine! :fl

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's in her DNA, for sure. Even with training, never trust her alone with your chickens. Penned birds and an electric fence would protect your hens.

Edited to say, "Welcome to BYC".

6. 501chickenlady

May 26, 2017

7. 501chickenlady

May 26, 2017
    She is for sure a terrorist!!!
    I will just have to be patient and not have free ranging chickens. Thank y'all!

8. 501chickenlady

May 26, 2017
    Thank you!!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Or you can have a dog that isn't allowed to free range.

IdyllwildAcres likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by