Dog hates my chickens

501chickenlady

In the Brooder
May 26, 2017
Ok y'all. I have 5 chickens and I want a bunch more. My husbands dog is a Westie (15-20 lb terrier) and she has killed several of my chickens. I have tried a shock collar, trying the dead chickens to her and making her wear them, spanking her with the dead chicken(s) and NOTHING is working. Please help.

You have your work cut out for you! I have worked with Westies (we call them West Highland terrorists! :) ) I love them buts that's what they do, it's in their DNA.
Gary is right your going to have to be right on top of her all the time with a leash. After some improvement try a long line, a 20-30ft piece of long cord, so she feels like she has some freedom. If she makes a move yank on it and scream NO CHICKENS! It doesn't have to be that but it sounded good.
Good luck. Now I'm just hoping my black lab doesn't want to retrieve mine! :fl

It's in her DNA, for sure. Even with training, never trust her alone with your chickens. Penned birds and an electric fence would protect your hens.

Edited to say, "Welcome to BYC".

You have your work cut out for you! I have worked with Westies (we call them West Highland terrorists! :) ) I love them buts that's what they do, it's in their DNA.
Gary is right your going to have to be right on top of her all the time with a leash. After some improvement try a long line, a 20-30ft piece of long cord, so she feels like she has some freedom. If she makes a move yank on it and scream NO CHICKENS! It doesn't have to be that but it sounded good.
Good luck. Now I'm just hoping my black lab doesn't want to retrieve mine! :fl

It's in her DNA, for sure. Even with training, never trust her alone with your chickens. Penned birds and an electric fence would protect your hens.

Edited to say, "Welcome to BYC".

She is for sure a terrorist!!!
I will just have to be patient and not have free ranging chickens. Thank y'all!

Back
Top Bottom