Dog having seizures

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bock, Feb 2, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We were eating dinner, and our chihuahua mix started having a seizure. Her legs got all stiff and she started trembling and flopping around on the floor. I held her until it was over, it only lasted about 1 minute, and now she is fine. I don't understand what is causing this, she is only 4 and a half and in seemingly good health. I don't know if it matters, but she was a byb puppy, my mom got her without knowing any better (sigh). The last time we actually witnessed this was about 2 years ago. It worries me, and I am wondering if there is some underlying cause. Is there any thing we should do to help her? Thank you! [​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Get her to a vet

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Call a vet.

4. Pickles03

Pickles03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Niagara Falls, ON
    We have friends with a very small minature poodle...due to its very very small size it becomes hypoglycemic very easily.
    If it gets too excited and has not ate enough, it has seizures.

What size is your dog?

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I used to have an epileptic dog. She was a German shepherd x border collie. She started having seizures at about 1 year of age. She was 75lbs, BTW.

Anyway, certain dyes in dog food & stress would trigger them and as she got older they became more violent and lasted longer. She was on phenobarbital for 15 years though....

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

oops double post

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Parasites, blood sugar levels, genetic predisposition--many things can cause seizures. Your vet can help determine the cause and method of treatment. We once had a golden retriever who would seize during her heat cycle. Spaying solved that problem.

8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks everyone! She eats TOTW, so I don't think dyes are a problem. I am guessing she weighs about 10 pounds, give or take. However, just about ten minutes before it happened, someone had come over to drop of roofing. His truck pulling out of our driveway might have triggered it.

I was really hoping a vet visit wouldn't be in order. [​IMG] I just don't know if we have the money to get her tested right now. She just had to go to the vet for an infection where a thorn got stuck in her belly about 4 weeks ago. If they become more frequent we will take her for sure, but it has been 2 years since her last seizure. The last one I wasn't even the one that witnessed it, so I didn't think much of it. Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Just be careful when she's seizing....we often want to put our face next to theirs and offer words of comfort, but they're not themselves when seizing and you could get bit. The best thing is to put the dog in a safe place. I used to wrap mine up in a towel until he was done (they often lose their bladder and bowel contents). If the seizures increase you'll definitely want to get your dog on meds that can control it. Each time your dog seizes it does damage to the brain so it's not something to let go.

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:I will be observing her closely, I wouldn't want her to get brain damage. Maybe we will call the vet and see what they have to say. [​IMG]

Edited to add: I just read an article and it sounds like she only had a partial seizure. It also said many vets will go the "wait and see'' route. I think we will see if it happens to her again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by