dog having seizures

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wyo Chick, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

My 7 year old Feist mix has started having seizures all of the suddent. They are grand mal seizures. We took him to the vet after the first one and his blood work was perfect! Now he has had 3 more. I don't understand how this comes on suddenly. Has anybody else had this happen? I am calling to get another vet appointment tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:So sorry thats happing, my cat went into a seizure once it was becouse of the flea drops that i gave her. :|

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    my shepherd/lab mix had seizures it started when he was 7 mths old.He had epilepsy They put him on phenobarbital and they lessened as he got older he passed from cancer 3 1/2 yrs ago and we miss him something awefull.
    I don't know about having them for the first time at 7yrs though that seems old for epilepsy.

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    my shepherd/lab mix had seizures it started when he was 7 mths old.He had epilepsy They put him on phenobarbital and they lessened as he got older he passed from cancer 3 1/2 yrs ago and we miss him something awefull.
    I don't know about having them for the first time at 7yrs though that seems old for epilepsy.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    my cocker spaniel had them.. at first i wasnt sure what they were at the time..never having seen a dog seizure before...it didnt look like a people seizure..so...she had a few of them...and when i realized what it was..i brought her to emergency vet at 10 at night...and they couldnt save her...she went into a seizure and wouldnt come out of it...they gave her seizure meds ..etc.nothing was working...they said that the only other thing they could do would be to put her under anesthesia..to see if that would bring her out of it...but the vet recommended to put her down(she was 10 yrs old)....we never really found out why she went into them so hard like that.........but a few days before this..i had brought her to a vet..she had gotten bitten by "something" outside..came in the house..her face swelled up real bad....she was pretty sick..the vet said it may have been a bee sting..noone really knew...but....she had been stung before..and didnt react like that(face swelling up..vomiting)...about 6 months after she passed..we found out we had copperheads in our yard and a few of my other neighbors also have them..i think she got bit by one....[​IMG]..i dont know..but it was a devastating experience for us......i really hope your dog will be okay!!..[​IMG]...keeping my fingers crossed for you guys...take care,Wendy

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Weird. The exact same thing has been happening to our rat terrier, every few months he will have a bad seizure. Our vet is at a loss, though he did prescribe some medication. That didnt work.[​IMG] So we are trying to figure out the "why" of it as well.
    I pray you have better luck.

7. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Hi,
    I am sorry for you guys.....seizures are a hard thing to live with. I have an Epi dog.......he is 4 and has had them since he was 8 months. Now that I feed a diet that consists of no grains, He only get his rabies shot and no others, and I use chemicals around the house sparingly......he does not have them near as often. in fact, it has been almost a year, and he was having them several times a week. I did not put him on phenobarb, I did it natural. But, I was lucky....and may someday have to anyway. I joined this great group, called Epil-k9, and here is the ling. So informative, and supportive.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I had this happen with my older dog. He was fine until we moved last year and then wham, he started having them. We have him on Phenobarbitol but he stopped having them months ago, so we are weaning him off and he is down to half the dose he used to be on. Next month I'll cut that dose by half until he is off for good or starts to have them again. I think he had them due to the Frontline I was using, once I had him on a different flea medication, he stopped...but since I'm not positive, we are gradually taking him off the meds. Good luck. It's hard to witness and can be very upsetting, but the dogs always seem to come out of it ok.

9. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Have you put flea drops on him recently? Also have the vet check for lead poisoning. Some poisons will cause seizures. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something very simple and easy to sure! Keep us posted!

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have a Malamute thats 12 years old...
    when she was 3 she started having seizures..vets could not figure out what was wrong...until I spoke to another Mal owner and she told me her Mal had seizures because of her vaccines...so we with held her vaccines the next year and the seizuers slowly stopped over the year...so when she was about 6 months past due for shots we went and had them done and sure as daylight she started seizing again..she developed an allergy to the vaccines...so now we need to get her shots done but in smaller doses like puppy doses so every 3 months we go and have a round done..

[​IMG]

here she is...this is Tala

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by