Dog Heat cycle / breeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rainbowhatchery, Jan 10, 2014.

1. rainbowhatchery

rainbowhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    I just have an overall general opinion poll I guess I would call it related to how fellow breeders of LGD dogs separate. We breed Anatolian Pyrenees LGD dogs. Im just curious on how others recognize and at what stage they separate their females and their methods. We only like to breed our female once a year because it takes alot out of them obvioulsy with such big puppies and litters and then keeps them from working the livestock due to caring for puppies. Our method is that we know cycles approximately and when its about that time frame we start paying a bit closer attention. When we notice the signs of that first week such as males paying more attention, bleeding, swelling ect.... we put her up until the entire heat cycle is over in a portion of the barn thats very secure. It has worked for us so far but Im always interested in other peoples ways of doing things and opinions as someone may have other ways that are better or more efficient. I have had some people say if you wait til you see signs they could already have bred, we have never had a problem with that because they are not fertile that first cycle of heat but I love to learn from others experiences. Oh and the reason we lock her up as opposed to our male is because we have more than one male and more than one female so its lock up 1 dog in heat or 3 others. For those of you that are going to fill this thread with statements like nobody should ever breed a dog because there are a million in shelters go spill your green peace bleeding heart speeches somewhere else because we are going to continue to breed, we breed working dogs (not pets) that all go to farms in need of livestock protection much like our hatchery. Im just curious on how others handle this with LGD dogs and if there is a better method. Its hard to find LGD info because even vets and very knowledgable dog people have no clue about Livestock dogs that live with the herds and never come inside. Some breeders about panic when I tell them my dogs whelp in cold weather outside in the barn. I actually had a neighbor once call the animal control because I left my dogs out in the winter and didnt bring them inside, people tend to be clueless about LGD breeds so opinions of others is always appreciated and we all have room to learn.

2. rainbowhatchery

rainbowhatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    well to answer my own question we are just using two barns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by