DOG HELL - being repurposed for chicken heaven....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zengrrl, Apr 14, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    [​IMG]

So this old dog kennel is on our property and it will make a HUGE coop which of course will only encourage my chicken math. All of the walls you see are rotten and we are demo=ing on the weekend. The roof and supports are all great. So we need to rebuild all the walls of course, which I'm grateful thats all that will have to be replaced! The coop run will be under the roof which will keep everything nice and dry. I'm thinking sand for the run but the actual coop part has cement. I want to do the DLM - do I need to put down linoleam (sp?) over the cement or will the cement do well enough?

Thanks for looking!

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    [​IMG]

That is wonderful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I know, we just bought our house in December and this building just SCREAMS chickens! Actually it screams suffering dogs, you can see where they were burrowed in their little hay beds and a wire running through the beds was used to keep them warm but now that we own it its going to scream chickens!

4. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] will make a nice coop 4 sure

5. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Omg that is like a dream, well to me anyway [​IMG].....I would Love to have that on my property

6. catsmithpuddin

catsmithpuddin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2009
    haughton louisiana
    That is a awesome start. Can't help you on the floor questions. Never done it. BUT......If it were me linoleam would make cleanup alot easier. I would even run it up the wall about a foot. Find the natural drainage and work it into your plan.

Also look into the two part floor paint kits. we use it at work and it holds up great.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow!! I'd give my eye teeth for something like that!! To have that large of a covered area already there, just waiting for you (and chickens)...[​IMG] Sand is great! I don't do deep litter, so can't help you there, although IF I was using it, I think I'd rather keep the cement...easy to hose off if needed when doing annual clean-out [​IMG]

8. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Quote:If I'd see something like that while house shopping I wouldn't even need to see the House, I'd say SOLD! [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Just the cement is fine, there is absolutely no point in putting vinyl on over it. If there is any question in your mind as to whether the cement has had sealer on it, it would be smart to clean it off and apply same; or if it is very porous-seeming maybe use epoxy paint instead (wearing a proper cartridge-style respirator).

That will make a seriously awesome coop!!!!!! [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

10. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    Quote:Great potential, though I do not at all see that a nice kennel has anything to do with 'suffering' dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by