Dog hero

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hallen4040, Nov 6, 2009.

1. hallen4040

hallen4040 New Egg

Nov 6, 2009
    We had our first predator attack yesterday. We have had our three chickens for almost nine months and they are outside for most of the day. Yesterday we heard a loud chicken scream. We rushed outside in time to see a hawk flying away with Toby, our golden retriever, barking and running behind it. Martha (the chicken attacked) lost a few feathers but seemed otherwise uninjured. I put the chickens into the coop for the rest of the day. I decided to let the chickens out for an hour today with the dog. When I went out to check on them, Toby was sitting on the front step with Martha cuddled up right next to him. Martha is generally a shy chicken and has never willing let any non-chicken creature (including me) too close to her. Maybe chickens are smarter than I thought!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

3. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    I've posted this before but my bet is Toby will be just like my Dancer.She does not let any hawks or crows ndear the chickens.Built in sixth sense lets her be on them before they reach the chicvkens.Lots of praise and I would wager Toby won't miss any either!! Good job Toby![​IMG]

4. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

Gotta love it!!!
    Way to go, Toby![​IMG]

5. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    Wow that's really something. What a story. Good job Toby dog! Animals are amazing. Hey.....can you post a picture of the two of them if they continue to cozy up together? I'd love to see that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by