Dog house converted to coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ArchersMom, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ArchersMom

ArchersMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    I decided to convert an old dog house into a second small coop. I'm hoping to fit 3-4 free range hens and maybe 1 rooster. I'll also be converting a 5' x 10' chain link dog kennel into a run. This is my first attempt to build anything as I'm not very handy when it comes to power tools, so I kept everything as simple as I could.

All that's left for the coop itself is the nesting boxes. I'm keeping them in the house itself since the run won't be covered and I need it to be very rainproof. I chose to place the roost bars parallel to the door so that I could place the boxes in the back corner. The roof hinges up for cleaning and collecting eggs, so I should be able to harvest the eggs fairly easily. I put less than $100 into the coop itself so I'm very happy with that aspect.

I still have to build the base to get it high enough off the ground to keep the feed and water containers out of the elements; and finish wrapping the run in hardware cloth.

Attached Files:

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Flock Master

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    All looks good. You are not finished yet so consider some necessities.
    You do need to read up on ventilation. What you have at present is a sauna in summer, and a humidity trap during winter. Not to mention, an ammonia generator.
    Ventilation is probably the most important thing about coops.
    You can house your chickens in a secure run with some protection from above from the weather elements. (some on sides as well from prevailing wind directions)
    In a closed box they will not do very well for very long. @aart has some good links in posting about ventilation. Lot easier to just study those than have me write all those all over again.:thumbsup
    WISHING YOU BEST.......:highfive:

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 True BYC Addict

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Don't forget the "poop board" ... Read about it after DH constructed my enclosure but we added it and I would never build a Coop without it. Add PDZ and makes cleaning a snap!

jthornton and cavemanrich like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    cavemanrich likes this.
  5. jthornton

jthornton Overrun With Chickens

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    For 3-4 hens you only need one nest box. Also for 4 chickens 4' of roost is plenty. The roost should be at least 12" from the wall. Chicken poop will fall 12" from the roost location so don't put a nest box too close or it will fill up with poop at night. A simple box made with 1x4's would do fine as a nest box.

What are the dimensions of the box?

JT

ArchersMom likes this.
  6. ArchersMom

Dec 2, 2015
    It's approximately 5' by 3.5'. As far a ventilation, it's only closed on 2 of the 4 sides. There is a 2" gap along the front and rear of the coop that should help. I'm not sure if that will be enough, but between that and the unattached roof I hope so. So if I divide out the back 1' for a nest box, do you think I'll be far enough from the roost bars? It'll be tight.

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's pretty small for 4-5 birds....nest inside will make that even smaller.
    What is your location/climate?

8. ArchersMom

Dec 2, 2015
    Maybe I'll stick with just the 3 then. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. So it's pretty mild, just wet.

9. ArchersMom

Dec 2, 2015
    And we're on 3/4 of an acre for them to forage, but I can't build a big permanent coop. We'll move again in 2-3 years and I'll have to be able to move it or take it apart.

cavemanrich likes this.
  10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd seriously consider covering the run for rain protection...then you could have an external nest ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by