Dog House Coop HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by werttyy, May 13, 2011.

1. werttyy

werttyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I bought this dog house: http://www.petco.com/product/107694/WAR … ses-107694 It is size medium and I do wish that I had bought large. Anyhow, I have 4 chicks right now. The average weight is supposed to be around five pounds. How could I make a chicken coop from this dog house? Any runs that I can make to attach to this? Oh and what do you think of me using this dog house? How should I ventilate it better? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have an old rabbit hutch sort of like that.
    I have a quad of Sizzles in it for sleeping and I had a left over X-pen from dog showing days that I put around it and up against the Silkie shed. I covered it with odd pieces of plywood and roofing stuff so they have shade in the mornings until noon or if it rains they can still "graze".
    I close mine up at night and let them out in the mornings.

For ventilation I would have a wire door on it, like a dog crate door and at the top of the back put the vents you can get from Lowes (I think mine were $3 a few weeks ago). They have screen on one side and louvered metal on the other side. I might even put small ones under the eaves since it will also help shed rain. I am all about ventilation!

3. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I am going to make a coop out of a doghouse to, but its a BIG one, I plan on putting it on a couple cinder blocks in a chainlink dog pen, this way they can hang out under the house during the day and at night will be locked up in the house. I was wondering about ventilation also, I think I will put a hole in the top of the peak? Ive been waiting for my kid to get home from college so he can help me carry it to the backyard and I can get working on it, needs alittle tlc first and a coat of paint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by