DOG HOUSE COOP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by t-dawg, Jul 23, 2008.

1. t-dawg

t-dawg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Boston
    I was wondering, is it possible to make a coop out of a dog house? If you could, would it be cheaper than building one from scratch? i know i'd have to fix it a little, but i can handle that. I'm not a real big handy guy,eh?

2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Well I am a woman and I built my coop. I can not do a lot of things because of health problems and face it.... I am weak! But i can nail 5 pieces of plywood together within a 2 week period. [​IMG] I know you are not as weak and delicate as I am so if i can do it, anyone can.

It really depends on how cheap you can find each one. Also a dog house is usually not bigger than 3'x3' and that will really only be good for about 2 chickens.
    Each piece of plywood costs about $25.00. To build a 4x4 foot you need 3 sheets of 8' x 4' plywood. Basically just cut them and nail them together and screw hinges on a door. So about $100 to build a new 4x4 from scratch with all new wood, paint and hinges included.

Can you find a 4x4 dog house for $100? See what you can find and compare. You still have to put perches (roosts) in the dog house and make a door for it.

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    my chickens have a lg doghouse and a coop but they love the doghouse best

4. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
  5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by