1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog house idea

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmoore333, Mar 13, 2013.

1. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Ok we've had chicks for a year, so this year I bought baby ducks.. So we are cleaning a spot for them, even with a small pond. For thier house I was going to use an old dog house we have,(we've cleaned it and looks great) my question is it doesn't have a door to close it at night. My question is does it need a door or would it be ok with out? Any suggestion on what to use for a door? I'm thinking it would need a door from protection from the element... Any advice would be great.. I have plenty of time the ducks are only a week old...:) thanks everyone..

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It depends on where you live. If you are in an area with cold winters, lots of rain, wind etc then you will want a door. They will need a predator proof run with a cover if they don't have a door. Basically a set up like for chickens but without roosts. But just as safe from the elements and predators.

You could make a door out of wood or wire. Repurpose a cabinet door. Depends on how big the opening is.

You also want to make sure they have enough room in there. 2.5-4 sq ft per medium or large bird if they'll only ever be in there at night.

3. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Will have to a door then, as it does get pretty cold, wet and rainy where I live

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by